Deadline June 22, 2012
Nine month contract
Department: Public Health Sciences
Organizational Overview: Public Health Ontario (“PHO”) is an arm's-length government agency dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world. PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
Further information is available at www.oahpp.ca.
Position Details: Position Title: Epidemiologist
Duration: Nine month fixed contract
Location: 480 University Avenue
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Job Code: 19PRS – Research Science
Salary: $68,205 - $87, 414
Position Status: OPEN
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Posting Date: June 8, 2012
Closing Date: June 22, 2012
Reporting to the Scientist, Public Health Sciences provides support a research project in the area of chronic disease prevention.
- Provides subject-matter expertise to support an epidemiologic research project working closely with the Scientist.
- Designs and conducts complex data retrievals and analysis to meet the objectives of the research project.
- Liaises as necessary with stakeholders and resources in various health sector and research institutions as related to the project.
- Presents findings at local, regional, national and international forums as appropriate.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of and skills in research, statistics, public health, chronic disease data sources preparing reports/manuscripts and editing with scientific rigour.
- Knowledge of, and skills in methods used routinely for analyzing epidemiologic data including analysis of categorical and continuous data using multivariate analysis.
- Knowledge and understanding of Ontario’s public health system.
- Skills in managing large databases and personal health information and analyzing these data using statistical software packages.
- Synthesizing and managing published literature using reference software.
- Organizational and project management skills to prioritize effectively and meet competing deadlines.
- Skills in organizing a research study from conception, design, ethics approval and reporting.
- Experience in advanced statistics and modelling is an asset.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in epidemiology, community health or related field.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience as an epidemiologist or in an equivalent position preferably in a public health setting.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.oahpp.ca/careers and click on the job title.Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.