Deadline August 17, 2012
The Ontario Public Health Association (OPHA, http://www.opha.on.ca) is a not-for-profit member-based organization that is focused on advancing public health within the Province of Ontario and has played a key public health leadership role for over 62 years. OPHA is pleased to be advertising for two Consultant Positions (Policy and Knowledge Management) to assist on a number of key initiatives and responsibilities for the Association. These positions will be critical to supporting the Association’s goals in advocacy, capacity building and knowledge exchange and transfer as well as supporting program operations. These positions will have matrix reporting relationships with the Executive Director and Program Manager.
Responsibilities for both positions:
- Coordinate and manage projects, research and other initiatives: set up meetings, ensure correspondence and communications with all key project members, financial issues, follow-up with relevant stakeholders and members, etc.,
- Set up and initiate meetings for projects and other related matters: set up rooms, teleconferencing details, minute taking, and meeting material preparation.
- Undertake literature searches and reviews with relevant health literature databases. Develop and undertake research and evaluation proposal plans and methodologies including data collection and verification (data entry into databases, creation of small databases).
- Undertake high level data analysis: frequency analysis, data trending, and etc., using key statistical software programs as required.
- Draft final evaluation and project reports and correspondence for various initiatives, positions and projects.
- Represent OPHA and NRC program at key stakeholder meetings and staff meetings to provide update and briefings.
- Draft briefing notes on a variety of public health and related topics, issues and initiatives.
- Some travel in Ontario may be required (office in Toronto).
Responsibilities specific to Policy Consultant
- Identify key current and emerging health policy issues and analyze complex policy issues and their implications for the Ontario public health sector and organization.
- Assist in policy document development and review: research topics, draft policy document, and briefing notes.
- Provide training on policy development, analysis and review.
- Assist in implementing healthy public policy at the local and provincial level.
Responsibilities specific to Knowledge Management Consultant
- Assist in knowledge exchange and transfer activities: e-newsletters, website management and updates, correspondence, and etc.
- Provide training on knowledge exchange transfer and exchange theories, principles, concepts and practices.
- Research and identify key current and emerging best and promising practices in knowledge exchange and transfer.
- Build capacity within the province on enhanced knowledge exchange and transfer amongst health professionals and the public – through training, events, resources and other.
- Engage in media relations.
Education (both positions)
- Masters degree in health sciences and related areas (ideally, preference will be given to any candidate who has the below skills, qualifications and experiences and who is a Registered Dietitian).
Skills and Experience – Mandatory unless stated otherwise (Both positions)
- Superior project management and organizational skills;
- Experience in stakeholder engagement and consultation, particularly as a means to influence and contribute to planning processes and nurture long-term relationships.
- Superior oral and written communications to respond to issues, prepare and present reports, briefing notes and materials and presentations;
- Excellent research and evaluation skills to research public health policy and practice issues (familiarity with key health literature databases, proposal development, data analysis);
- Experience in working in a matrix management structure and within cross disciplinary teams;
- Strong planning and problem-solving skills;
- Strong consultation, negotiation and interpersonal skills;
- Strong ability to anticipate, assess and mitigate potential risk;
- Excellent critical analysis thinking;
- Ability to work under fast-paced environment and to meet deadlines;
- Familiarity in population health (preferred);
- Strong understanding of the public health sector and community agencies in Ontario and Canada, as well as municipal, regional and provincial government (preferred); and
- Knowledge and familiarity of the Ontario Public Health Standards (preferred).
Skills and Experience: Policy Consultant
- 3-5 years experience in policy development and analysis preferably in health promotion and public health.
- Proven expertise in the principles/practices of policy research/development, environmental scanning, trends forecasting, and issues analysis; and
- Working knowledge of established policy tools.
Skills and Experience: Knowledge Management Consultant
- 3-5 years experience in knowledge exchange and transfer preferably in health promotion and public health.
- Proven expertise in the principles/practices of knowledge transfer, exchange and translation.
- Proven knowledge of engaging health professionals across disciplines on knowledge exchange and transfer.
- Knowledge of public engagement approaches and practices within the health promotion sector (ideally in healthy eating and nutrition).
Send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. Indicate in subject line and in cover letter the position that you are applying for (‘Consultant – Policy’ or ‘Consultant – Knowledge’). Applications will be accepted up to August 17, 2012, 9:00 a.m..