Deadline August 17, 2012
The Ontario Public Health Association (OPHA, www.opha.on.ca ) is a not-for-profit member-based organization that is focused on advancing public health within the Province of Ontario and has played a key public health leadership role for over 62 years. OPHA is pleased to be advertising for a Policy Coordinator Position to assist on a number of key healthy eating and nutrition initiatives and responsibilities for the Association through the Nutrition Resource Centre. This position will be critical to supporting the Association’s goals in awareness raising, policy development, capacity building and knowledge exchange and transfer with an emphasis on healthy eating, nutrition, health promotion and public health. This position will report to the Program Manager and is a full time permanent position that will be required to work within the OPHA office premise (Toronto).
Policy Development Support
- Engage in knowledge exchange and transfer of policy review, analysis and development principles and practices to program client base.
- Investigate, search, analyze and ensure currency of knowledge base of current and emerging healthy eating, food, nutrition, health promotion and public health related policies within the province, nationally and internationally.
- Advise Program Manager and Executive Director (when applicable) on key policy issues as they arise verbally (presentations, other) or in writing (briefing notes, reports) as directed– identify implications, key messages, stakeholders and etc.,
- Prepare and present complex research analysis, evidence-based decision-making results, policy recommendations and briefing papers.
- Provide advice and consultation where appropriate on key provincial, national and local level policy and strategy issues and trends related to healthy eating and nutrition and health promotion.
- Problem-solve, analyze, assess and develop healthy eating, nutrition and health promotion policies.
- Access, utilize and interpret health data from a variety of sources.
- Communicate and explain complex policies, programs and processes to key organizational stakeholders and external organizational stakeholders (client, government, partners)
Provide consultation and advice to client base (at client site & other communication means) on:
- Processes required to undertake policy
- Content knowledge of specific policy issues (as required)
- Expert resources and tools in policy development support.
- Identify and engage with key and relevant healthy eating, nutrition, and health promotion policy stakeholders and partners.
- Facilitate multi-disciplinary meetings, groups and committees on health promotion related policy issues.
- Establish sustainable and working relationships with key stakeholders and health partners.
- Build capacity amongst client base in policy development: develop presentations, webinars, and other learning tools on policy development.
- Undertake needs assessment of client and stakeholder base through comprehensive approaches and methods. Assist in project coordination and implementation of annual program knowledge exchange and transfer event.
Other duties and responsibilities:
- Attend weekly program staff and monthly organizational staff meetings.
- Assist program manager and other program staff as required.
- Attend and represent program and OPHA at stakeholder engagement meetings, consultations, and events where applicable.
- Participate and engage in strategic and operational planning at the program and organizational levels.
- Provide support on website, newsletter and other program communication responsibilities.
- Answer general client, stakeholder and public enquiries.
- Assist in other duties as required including administration and others that are relevant and appropriate to the role.
- Provide support where needed to advance the objectives and goals of the organization.
- Applicant must possess Registered Dietitian status.
- Applicant must possess a graduate degree through a recognized university.
Skills, Aptitude and Other Qualifications
- 7-10 years work experience in the area of policy development preferably in the area of healthy public policy.
- Strong knowledge base of policy development and analysis theories, principles and practices.
- Proficient knowledge of the Ontario Public Health System.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Superior communication skills: verbal and written.
- Good research and evaluation skills (literature reviews, develop research/evaluation proposals, oversee research and evaluation initiatives, data analysis).
- Capable of working independently and with minimal supervision.
- Able to demonstrate initiative.
- Superior critical analysis skills.
- Good systems thinker.
- Team player.
- Highly results-oriented.
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Strong facilitation skills.
- Good computer skills (familiarity with MS Office and literature databases and Internet).
Send cover letter and resume to: [email protected]. Indicate in subject line and in cover letter that you are applying for the ‘Policy Coordinator Position’. Applications will be accepted up to August 17, 2012 9:00 a.m.