Deadline: August 13, 2012
Manager, Education Services
Program: Knowledge Services
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world. PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians. For more information about OAHPP, visit www.oahpp.ca.
The Manager, Education Services is responsible to provide unit leadership for the planning, development and management of sound, innovative knowledge and education services including the provision of technical advice, education and knowledge exchange and dissemination support to those working to protect and promote the health of Ontarians. The Manager, Education Services develops and coordinates PHO’s strategy for knowledge exchange for PHO staff and external partners and stakeholders, including a comprehensive professional education program, development of tools and guides on best practices, on-line services accessible through the PHO website, continuing education for health professionals and development of future public health professionals. Responsible for the planning and annual implementation for The Ontario Public Health Convention (TOPHC).
• Acts as a strategic leader to plan and manage a sound, innovative operation in the field of knowledge exchange and education services and as a key program specific advisor in developing and implementing strategies within area of responsibility.
• Manages the development, implementation, delivery and evaluation of a range of unit services, products and initiatives that reflect PHO’s commitment to public health knowledge development and exchange including professional education programs; development of best practice tools and guides; knowledge exchange capacity building; the planning of professional development events and conferences for both external stakeholders, PHO staff and partners and a web tool to facilitate just in time access to knowledge products.
• Responsible for program development, quality and delivery of regular and ad hoc educational events to internal and external audience through webinars and face-to-face workshops.
• Responsible for the development of eLearning capacity, quality and delivery of eLearning courses.
• Works closely with the PHO’s inter-disciplinary scientific programs to develop a knowledge exchange strategy that will optimize investments in public health research and information generation to inform efforts to improve the public health system; support implementation of the strategy by programs across PHO.
• Obtains scientific advice from assigned advisors.
• Plans and manages the development, implementation and oversight of knowledge exchange support as a component of the provision of services to local public health clients through the Applied Research and Program Evaluation, Education and Professional Development and Knowledge Exchange in Public Health (SRKE) program.
• Manages and implements a strategy to enhance academic partnerships to collaborate on knowledge exchange activities and provide a place to inform, support and teach students, practicum placement and lectures at academic institutions in Ontario.
• Establishes the operational plan, defines operations, budget and program goals for own program.
• Models organizational values and organizational culture and embeds values into area of responsibility.
• Represents the Unit, its initiatives and services in consultations, relationships and collaborative partnerships with government, other provincial agencies, non-governmental organizations, public health units, healthcare organizations, professional associations and other academic and community partners.
• Ensures alignment of unit goals, objectives and activities with other public health system improvement goals and objectives.
• Acts as a designated lead and/or subject matter expert on cross functional PHO teams responsible for a coordinated and integrated scientific response and management of an incident or issue and proactive operational planning to ensure linkages and collaboration across PHO.
• Keeps abreast of the latest research and developments in area of specialty within the PHO and at other institutions.
• Manages staff, congruent with PHO internal policies and procedures, professional standards, Collective Agreement requirements and other relevant standards, legislation or regulations, including: providing direction and leadership in the implementation of new techniques and standards; assigning staff and implementing work/vacation schedules, setting clear responsibilities and objectives, evaluating performance, advising on training needs, participating on recruiting/selection of staff, dealing with disciplinary issues and responding to grievances in conjunction with PHO Human Resources management programs; build and lead a team of multi-disciplinary staff who support PHO’s activities.
• Contributes to the development and implementation of the PHO’s mandate and operating procedures by taking a significant role in the identification of new projects that align with the Knowledge Services mandate; suggests areas for improvement in internal processes along with possible solutions.
• Supports the PHO in the provision of response in an emergency, pursuant to responsibilities as delegated in an emergency response plan.
• Models organizational values and organizational culture and embed values into area of responsibility.
• Serve as Acting Director, Knowledge Services when required.
Knowledge and Skills
• Excellent knowledge and experience in knowledge exchange/knowledge transfer/knowledge transition functions.
• Knowledge of, and skills in area of specialization with cumulative breadth of knowledge of the complex health system, its complexities and linkages to the public health field.
• Proven leadership expertise in managing a program or function within a public health or related setting.
• Highly organized with priority setting and workload management skills to coordinate multiple, concurrent issues and projects; excellent problem solving skills.
• Ability to work in a shared leadership or team model.
• Skilled in managing multiple projects and delivering measureable results.
Education and Experience
• Masters’ degree in a public health, knowledge exchange, health sciences, adult education or equivalent area of study,
• Progressive management experience managing and planning in a specialized and/or complex environment.
• A minimum of five years of management experience in public health, an academic, research or health care institution.
• Five years of work experience working in public health is preferred.
Full Time Regular
480 University Avenue
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.oahpp.ca/careers and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.