Deadline: August 20, 2012
Program Assistant to School Based Program (4 months)
Parachute—Leaders in Injury Prevention
Parachute is a national, charitable organization dedicated to preventing injuries and saving lives. Parachute officially came into being in July 2012 with the union of four leading Canadian injury prevention groups: Safe Communities Canada, Safe Kids Canada, SMARTRISK and ThinkFirst Canada. Parachute’s injury prevention programming and advocacy efforts are designed to help Canadians reduce their risks of injury while enjoying long lives lived to the fullest. Parachute has multiple national programs for high school students:
No Regrets is a peer leadership program that offers a permanent home in high schools for smart risk messages. Built on research that points to the power of peers in young people’s lives, No Regrets trains student leaders and staff advisers to implement injury prevention activities and campaigns in their schools.
No Regrets Live is a one-hour presentation that combines fast-paced video clips of young people taking risks with a live presentation by an injury survivor who speaks candidly about how the injury has affected their life, while presenting positive choices that can be made to reduce the risk of injury.
Is It Worth It is a national teen driver safety multimedia competition that challenges students to create positive and empowering public service announcements about teen driver safety. The program also features school based, awareness raising initiatives and curriculum components.
Role and Key Responsibilities
The Program Assistant will report to the Youth Program Manager and Program Coordinator to aid in supporting the Parachute high school based programs (No Regrets and No Regrets Live). Specifically, the Program Assistant will perform the following programming responsibilities (not limited to):
· Support Youth Team staff with school recruitment, training logistics and school communication
· Aid in administrative duties
· Create new content and revise existing content for the No Regrets website and newsletter
· Create and edit new activities and other online resources to support programs
· Input No Regrets and No Regrets Live contacts into a web-based management solution
· Develop, maintain and enhance data management systems for No Regrets and No Regrets Live
· Support the school recruitment process.
· Support social media outlets
· Support ordering and distribution of promotional materials
· Complete expense reports and purchase orders
· Process and package promotional product orders for distribution
· Organized and detail orientated
· Comfortable communicating through phone and email
· Experience working with youth
· Excellent writing skills
· Strong technical skills and experience with Mac OS
· Experience with social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, YouTube
· Ability to manage, prioritize and execute multiple tasks and assignments in a timely manner, both independently and part of a team
· Excellent collaboration skills with the ability to take direction from and work effectively with team members
· Willingness to take initiative and contribute new ideas
· First aid training and French are assets
This is a four-month contract position, paid an hourly wage of $14 an hour. At the end of the contract, there may be potential for extension of the contract.
Interested candidates should apply by email with a cover letter and resume to email@example.com 12pm, August 20, 2012. Expected start date is August 27, 2012. No calls please.