Deadline October 31, 2012
Position: Executive Director (ED)
Position Type: Part Time
Location: Toronto or area
Application Deadline: October 31, 2012
Reports To: Board of Directors
Start Date: TBD
Thyroid Cancer Canada (TCC) is a national charitable organization which endeavours to create an environment in which people who are dealing with thyroid cancer, especially the newly diagnosed, are met with support and information. Thyroid Cancer Canada draws on the medical community to provide a consistent and high standard of support for all individuals dealing with the disease.
TCC's goals & objectives include: facilitating communication among thyroid cancer patients, providing credible information about the disease, providing emotional support, and assisting thyroid cancer patients with voicing their needs to health care professionals and those who are responsible for health care policy.
TCC is seeking a creative and visionary leader with fund development and operations experience to be the first employee of this grassroots organization. The successful candidate will champion collaborative approaches to work with stakeholders in the community and excel in building relationships both internally and externally.
Visionary leadership and participative management style will serve to manage excellence and inspire a team of volunteers.
The ED’s performance will be assessed primarily on leadership effectiveness, and ability to meetset deliverables such as meeting annual fundraising targets. The ideal candidate will have an empowering and supportive leadership style and will act as a mentor and leader to a strong, diverse team. The candidate must have the ability to lead in a team framework, be seen as a visionary, and be able to share the vision and goals with staff, volunteers, donors, The ED must be comfortable being the face of the organization, including conducting public presentations and public speaking.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Promotes the organization’s mission, activities, and services.
- Administers the day-to-day operations of the organization.
- Develops an awareness of the health and wellness issues of thyroid cancer patients in Canada and is able to communicate and support these.
- Assists with developing plans, policies and procedures based on the goals/policies approved by the Board of Directors including development of strategies assigned by the Board and committees. Provides the Board with information needed to evaluate the organization’s vision, mission, activities and accomplishments.
- Negotiates contracts, funding agreements, and budgets with funders and other parties.
- Is responsible for human resources, including the hiring, supervising, and release of staff.
- Performs all organizational leadership and management functions at the highest organizational level including managing volunteers, various committees and core projects/programs.
- Is responsible for the overall fiscal management, works with staff and Board in preparing a budget and sees that the organization operates within budget guidelines.
- Carries out and manages fiscal and charity responsibilities including bookkeeping, data entry, and charitable receipts.
- Sits on sector-related external boards and/or committees and liaises with like-minded organizations. Establishes good working relationships and collaborative arrangements with community groups, funders, politicians, and other organizations to help achieve the goals of the organization.
- Ensures TCC's privacy policies are administered effectively.
- Secures and oversees fundraising of major gifts, sponsorships, events and general donations.
- Is responsible for public relations.
- Ability to think and act strategically within a community service environment.
- Degree in a relevant professional discipline (prefer studies in business, management and/or PR).
- Five years of experience in supervisory, management or ED role.
- Experience working with not-for-profit environments, including managing volunteers, fundraising, working with boards, committees, and building consensus to establish effective relationships with multiple stakeholders.
- Proficiency with computer software such as Word, Excel, etc.
- Valid Class G driver’s license with reliable vehicle accessibility;
- Availability to attend evening/weekend meetings or other events as required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage key constituent relationships, including media, community partners, government agencies,.
- A clear and solid understanding of the issues faced by the organization.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity to multicultural and diverse communities.
- Strong knowledge of fiscal management and responsibility, business finance, capital funding, contracts, and partnerships.
- High level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- The successful candidate will be able to grow the position along with the organization. Starting salary will be in the mid $40k range. On-going compensation to be determined based on performance benchmarks.
- Travel is occasionally required
- Fluency in French an asset
- Criminal Information Records Check
Thyroid Cancer Canada embraces diversity and encourages all qualified candidates to apply.
We thank all applicants, but only those to be interviewed will be contacted.
No phone calls please.
Please submit your resume and cover letter by mail or email to:
Thyroid Cancer Canada
550 Eglinton Ave West
PO Box 23007
Toronto, ON M5N 3A8