Deadline November 2, 2012
Are you interested in working with a national organization promoting physical activity in Canada?
Do you have an interest in social marketing, physical activity and sport participation or the non-profit/charitable sector?
Application Deadline: November 2, 2012
Title: PR and Communications Manager
Status: 1 Year Maternity Leave Contract
ParticipACTION is the national voice of physical activity and sport participation in Canada. Originally established in 1971, ParticipACTION was re-launched in 2007 to help prevent the looming inactivity crisis that faces Canada. As a national not-for-profit organization solely dedicated to inspiring and supporting healthy and active living for Canadians, it works with its partners, which include sport, physical activity, recreation organizations, government and corporate sponsors, to inspire and support Canadians to move more. ParticipACTION is generously supported by Sport Canada.
PR and Communications Manager
Reporting to the VP, Marketing, the PR and Communications Manager is responsible for managing all public relations and media relations for the organization.
Key Accountabilities (include but not limited to)
- Developing PR and communications strategies, implementing communications plans and managing PR budgets for the organization and projects.
- Managing the day-to-day media relations/media requests with PR agency
- Collaborate with marketing and subject matter experts in a timely manner to determine appropriate media responses.
- Develop written materials including press releases, Q&A, media advisories, etc.
- Preparing designated spokespersons for media interviews
- Building new, and maintaining existing relationships with key media contacts and identifying opportunities to proactively pitch stories to media as appropriate.
- Providing guidance to ensure coordination and communication of messages/news to both internal and external audiences.
- Developing content for corporate communications (i.e. newsletters, messages to the Board of Directors, etc.) and projects (i.e. articles, eblasts, website content, etc.)
- Manages relationships with external vendors
- Build and manages relationships with key partners, stakeholders and clients
- A University degree in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English or related discipline coupled with a minimum seven years of experience in Communications and/or Public Relations.
- Strong working knowledge of communication principles and practices.
- Possesses excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills with strong writing and editorial abilities.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and execute flawlessly on projects in a fast-paced, often pressured environment and see a project through to completion.
- Possesses the ability and desire to be an influential communications consultant within the organization.
- Proven project management and leadership skills.
- Able to work effectively in a team.
- Able to maintain confidentiality and discretion, with a high level of accuracy regarding information.
- Ability to develop and maintain strong professional relationships with internal and external stakeholders and work effectively with all levels of employees is critical.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office, internet, wire services, media monitoring software, and other public relation tools.
- French language skill is desirable.
Please send your resume and covering letter outlining your salary expectations to [email protected].
We wish to thank all candidates for their interest in ParticipACTION; however only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.