Deadline November 30, 2012
Competition #0022-12 – Communicable Disease Control Nurse (with assignments in CDC and Sexual Health)
The Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit has an opening for a Communicable Disease Control Nurse (with assignments in CDC and Sexual Health) for its Communicable Disease Control Department in the Lindsay office.
a) Assignment in CDC
As a member of the Communicable Disease Control Department, the CDC Nurse works under the direction of the Director, the Assistant Director, and Manager, and is responsible for the implementation of specified mandatory programs (Ontario Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care (MOHLTC) December 1997) according to MOHLTC protocols and guidelines and Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit Policies and Procedures. The relevant programs are:
- Control of Infectious Diseases
- Infection Control
- Tuberculosis Control
- Vaccine Preventable Diseases
The Communicable Disease Control Nurse is required to work with other team members, other health unit staff, with health care professionals in the community and with members of the public to carry out required public health follow-up of communicable diseases, including provision of specified clinical services (immunization, specimen collection); consultation, education, and health promotion; and implementation of legislation as required.
Public Health management of community and facility outbreaks and public health surveillance for reportable diseases are integral parts of the Communicable Disease Control Nurse’s role.
All Registered Nurses employed by HKPRDHU are required to maintain competency in immunization and participate in clinics as required.
b) Assignment in Sexual Health
Working in Sexual Health Services (SHS) under the direction of the Director, the Assistant Director, and Manager CDC, the SHS Nurse is responsible for the implementation of relevant program legislation, policies and procedures. The relevant programs are:
- Sexual Health
- Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STIs) including HIV/AIDS
The SHS Nurse is required to work with other team members, other health unit staff, with health care professionals in the community and with members of the public to carry out required public health follow-up of STIs, including provision of specified clinical services; consultation, education, health promotion; and implementation, and enforcement of legislation as required.
For full details on the position, please visit the Health Unit’s website at http://www.hkpr.on.ca under the ‘Careers’ section.
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in nursing
- Certification in infection control an asset
- Registered with College of Nurses of Ontario
- Willingness to achieve certification infection control within two years of hire
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, as well as exemplary presentation skills
- Experience in the area of group facilitation and presentations
- Experience in Sexual Health, STIs and physical assessments an asset
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Computer literacy required with proficiency with Microsoft applications, proficiency with MOHLTC software programs desirable
- Able to handle difficult CDC issues/situations and social issues/situations in a sensitive, professional and non-judgmental manner
- Ability to handle difficult SHS issues/situations and social issues/situations in a sensitive, professional and non-judgmental manner
- Good organizational skills
- Able to work in a collaborative way with peers, managers and external partners
- Previous public health experience, particularly in communicable disease programs, an asset
- Current CPR and First Aid (HCP level)
- Current and satisfactory Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Search
- Valid “G” driver’s license and access to a vehicle for work
- Proof of immunizations required by HKPRDHU
Salary Range: $69,196 - $75,985
Qualified applicants are invited to send a resume and cover letter by 4:00 p.m. on Friday, November 30, 2012 to:
Manager, Human Resources
Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit
200 Rose Glen Road
Port Hope ON L1A 3V6
Tel: 905 885 9100
Fax: 905 885 9551
E mail: [email protected]
We would like to thank all applicants in advance and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.