Deadline November 9, 2012
Findhelp Information Services is a nonprofit United Way member agency that provides information about community, social, health and related government services in Ontario.
Findhelp is currently seeking one full time bilingual (English/French) Information and Referral Specialist for its Inquiry Services. This position will help to provide information and referral services for our inquiry service which operates: 211 Central (Toronto, York and Durham Regions); extended hours service for 211 Central East, 211 Central South, 211 Eastern, 211 Halton, 211 North, and 211 South West Region; the Victim Support Line (Ministry of Attorney General) and Central Access, (Toronto’s Withdrawal Management Service).
This position requires someone who is able to work a variety of shifts – including weekends, evenings, overnights and statutory holidays when required in a four-week period according to the needs of the agency’s 24/7 inquiry department.
The Information and Referral Specialist will report directly to the Manager of Inquiry Services.
- Assessing clients' situations to determine appropriate community resource(s), human services, and/or intervention
- Responding to inquiries by providing information, guidance, and referral(s) to address client needs
- Advocating for clients who are unable to access services
- Performing community outreach, delivering presentations, and/or conducting training asrequired
- Performing other duties as assigned
Skills and Experience:
- One year of paid employment or volunteer work in the community service sector
- Experience dealing with crisis intervention an asset
- Experience with cultural diversity, access, and equity issues
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills and active listening skills
- Excellent assessment and problem solving skills
- Ability to make quick decisions and remain calm under pressure
- Ability to remain empathetic, supportive, open-minded and non-judgmental
- Strong team skills; works cooperatively in a team, willing to share learning, experiences, and assist others
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced and ever changing environment
- Able to work independently with good judgment
- Ability to establish rapport with callers and provide them a safe environment to ask questions
- Strong client service skills
- Good advocacy skills
- Excellent computer, internet, e-mail, and keyboarding skills
Knowledge, Education and Certifications/Licences:
- Degree or diploma in Social Services, Social Work, Arts, Psychology, or other related field
- Strong knowledge of the social service and community information sectors in Toronto, Ontario, and Canada
- Ability to be AIRS certified as a Certified Information and Referral Specialist (CIRS) after two years with the Agency
- Proficiency in French and English: multilingual skills an asset
Salary and benefits:
This full time position consists of 140 hours in a four-week period. Hourly rate starts at $23.87. Benefits include four-week vacation, health and dental coverage, life insurance and a pension plan.
Please provide cover letter and resume no later than midnight Friday, November 9, 2012 to:
Cristina Umana, HR and Administration Manager
543 Richmond Street West, Suite 125, Box 203
Toronto, ON M5V 1Y6
Additional Information: This position is part of CUPE Local 3173
To meet our equity goals, Findhelp Information Services encourages applications from all designated equity groups, including Aboriginal peoples, Members of visible minorities, Persons with disabilities and Women.