Deadline December 14, 2012
15 month contract
Organizational Overview Public Health Ontario (PHO) is Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit http://www.oahpp.ca.
Position Title: Epidemiologist
Duration: 15 months fixed contract
Location: 480 University Avenue
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Job Code: 19PRS – Research Science
Salary: $69,570 - $89,163
Position Status: OPEN
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Posting Date: November 30, 2012
Closing Date: December 14, 2012
Reporting to the Chief, Health Promotion, Chronic Disease and Injury Prevention (HPCDIP), the Epidemiologist is responsible for providing analytic support to the evaluation of the Healthy Babies Healthy Children (HBHC) program. Specifically, the Epidemiologist will assist with data acquisition from multiple sources, data collection, and collation, and database maintenance, routine analysis of large data sets, interpretation and production of surveillance reports.
As part of a team, the Epidemiologist
- provides subject-matter expertise to support an epidemiologic evaluation project working closely with the Senior Evaluator.
- designs and conducts complex data retrievals and analysis to meet the objectives of the evaluation project.
- liaises as necessary with stakeholders and resources in various health sector and research institutions as related to the project.
- presents findings at local, regional, national and international forums as appropriate.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of and skills in research, statistics, public health, chronic disease data sources preparing reports/manuscripts and editing with scientific rigour.
- Knowledge of, and skills in methods used routinely for analyzing epidemiologic data including analysis of categorical and continuous data using multivariate analysis.
- Knowledge and understanding of Ontario’s public health system.
- Skills in managing large databases and personal health information and analyzing these data using statistical software packages.
- Synthesizing and managing published literature using reference software.
- Organizational and project management skills to prioritize effectively and meet competing deadlines.
- Skills in organizing a research study from conception, design, ethics approval and reporting.
- Experience in advanced statistics and modelling is an asset.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in epidemiology, community health or related field.
- A minimum of two years of experience as an epidemiologist in a public health or related setting.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.oahpp.ca/careers and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.