North Bay, Ontario
Deadline January 1
Position: Public Health Inspector – OPSEU – Communicable Disease Control Team
Hours of Work: Permanent - Full-Time – 24.50 Hours Per Week (0.70 FTE) with a possible Temporary Increase in hours
Effective: As Soon As Possible
Location: Main Office – North Bay
Additional Info: Vacant Position
Position Summary: Working as a member of the Communicable Disease Control Team, the incumbent is responsible for surveillance, research, implementation, follow-up and evaluation of communicable diseases (enteric and non-enteric) and ensures compliance with the Health Promotion and Protection Act. The incumbent will also work with the team to control outbreaks of diseases.
Education, Experience, Skills and Abilities:
- Baccalaureate in Environmental Health or equivalent, recognized by the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors (CIPHI)
- Current Certificate in Public Health Inspection (Canada) or equivalent
- Current member in good standing with the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors (CIPHI)
- Two years recent experience in public health programs with experience in case management of clients with communicable diseases
- Experience in program planning and evaluation, inventory monitoring and control, as well as statistical data management
- Experience in preparing and facilitating stakeholder group collaboration
- Certificate in Infection Control and/or willingness to become certified within 2 years
- Have initiated or completed a HB vaccination series or proof of immunity
- Knowledge of infectious disease epidemiology
- Strong interpersonal, communication, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Computer skills in word processing and internet
- Self motivated and able to complete assigned duties with minimal direction
- Ability to participate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team
- Ability to foster a positive work environment
- Ability to work within a self directed team and collaborate with other teams in program delivery
- Demonstrated analytical ability in order to research and prepare proposals, briefs and annual reports
- Ability to work flex hours, on-call, evenings and weekends as required
- Requires a valid “G” Ontario Driver’s Licence and access to a reliable vehicle
- Required to be available for redeployment to another location in Ontario, potentially on short notice and for extended time periods in the event of an outbreak
As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to authorize the Health Unit to obtain and adjudicate a police record check at their expense and will be required to comply with the Health Unit’s immunization policies.
Hourly Rate: Minimum $36.80 to Maximum $41.42
When on-call, compensated at $700 per week
Closing Date: January 17, 2013 at 4:00 p.m.
Wendy Moore, Human Resources Assistant
Attention: Job #PH/2013/001
North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit
681 Commercial Street
North Bay, ON P1B 4E7 or
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Once posting is closed, please refer to website for status of job posting.
The Health Unit is an Equal Opportunity Employer