Deadline February 11, 2013
Title: Senior Planning Specialist
Department: Planning and Performance
Public Health Ontario (“PHO”) is an arm's-length government agency dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
Further information is available at www.oahpp.ca.
Position Title: Senior Planning Specialist
Department: Planning and Performance
Duration: Full-time Regular
Location: 480 University Avenue, Toronto.
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Position Status: Open
Job Code: 20PGS - General Scientific
Salary: $75,164- $97,640 annually
Posting Date: January 28, 2013
Closing Date: February 11, 2013
Reporting to the Director, Planning and Performance, the Senior Planning Specialist. The position will provide senior level support and guidance to organization-wide activities related to strategic, business and operational planning and the intersection of these activities with enterprise risk management and organizational performance management.
Working with the Director of Planning and Performance and other members of the Department to support the broader PHO management team by:
- Supporting the requirements of the annual planning calendar for strategic, annual business and operational planning and the related reporting.
- Serving as the designated project manager for key planning initiatives as may be applicable, developing project plans, managing working groups, preparing briefs, reports and presentations for review by the Director of Planning and Performance and subsequently by Senior Management and the Board.
- Keeping abreast of new developments in the planning and enterprise risk management
- Managing the development and synthesis of risk management reports, in the context of PHO’s enterprise risk management framework.
- Designing new approaches, tools and techniques as applicable to support specific organizational planning needs in the context of the broader organizational performance and enterprise risk management frameworks, in a manner that enables where appropriate high quality electronic approaches to information gathering, sharing and analysis.
- Guiding and providing expert support to managers across the organization in planning and organizational risk management processes and projects that involve innovation and transformational change
- Supporting internal and external consultation processes to address specific planning needs working in concert with designated representatives of the Public Affairs portfolio.
- Managing the synthesis of the Annual Business Plan and other key government submissions as assigned.
- Developing and building partnerships and business relationships with key public health stakeholders to ensure mutually beneficial and productive working relationships, lead stakeholder consultations and to provide advice on key PHO initiatives.
- Developing and nurturing networks and alliances to enhance cooperative and timely access to appropriate expertise both internally and externally.
- Developing and maintaining collaborative working relationships within PHO and with external stakeholders including government counterparts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Excellent planning and problem solving skills.
- Excellent oral and written communications to respond to issues, prepare and present reports, briefing materials and presentations.
- Experience in working in a matrix management structure and within cross disciplinary teams
- Flexibility with a tolerance for ambiguity in a constantly evolving organization and health environment.
- Knowledge of government planning cycles and processes.
- Proven expertise in the principles/practices of strategic, business and operational planning.
- Proven expertise in the principles and practices of organizational risk management
- Demonstrated experience in the development and execution of large planning initiatives, including the management of working groups.
- Excellent analytic skills.
- Ability to meet tight deadlines.
- Strong consultation, negotiation and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated computer skills with proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Visio, and Project) and familiarity with SharePoint.
Education and Experience:
- Masters level training in a health/health management related discipline
- At least seven years of progressive organizational planning experience, including experience in the development of annual operational and business plans, ideally in the health sector.
- Professional Project Management Designation or the equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in the development/management of major planning projects in the health sector, ideally in areas of public health reform and renewal.
- Experience in the coordination of organization-wide preparations for organizational accreditation and/or operational reviews/program evaluations.
- Solid understanding of the public health sector and agencies in Ontario and Canada, of provincial government processes as well as understanding of the context for the creation of the PHO.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.oahpp.ca/careers and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.