Deadline March 18, 2013
Title: Administrative Assistant, Infection Prevention and Control (Ottawa)
Program: Infection Prevention and Control
Public Health Ontario (“PHO”/"Agency") is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
Further information is available at http://www.oahpp.ca.
Position Title: Administrative Assistant
Department: Infection Prevention and Control
Duration: Permanent Full-Time
Location: 751 Parkdale Avenue, Ottawa
Compensation Group: OPSEU
Position Status: Open
Job Code: OAD 8 – Admin Assistant
Salary: $21.43 - $24.16 hourly
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Posting Date: March 4, 2013
Closing Date: March 18, 2013
The Administrative Assistant provides administrative support primarily to the Medical Director/ Infection Prevention and Control (IPAC) Physician and to the other program staff as necessary. Coordinates and assists other departmental activities and facilitates for other administrative staff working in the office.
- Coordinates the flow of information and documents into the business unit and ensures urgent matters are brought to the attention of the Medical Director or appropriate staff in a timely manner.
- Coordinates the Medical Director’s schedule and makes arrangements for all meetings of the Medical Director/IPAC Physician in the business unit including: determining priorities of appointments, booking meeting locations/rooms, preparing agendas, compiling and distributing related background material as appropriate, making arrangements for teleconferencing and videoconferencing as required, coordinating travel/accommodation requirements for out-of-town meetings/conferences and processing travel expenses as required.
- Responds to incoming calls to the unit from senior government officials (all levels), private sector companies, health-care providers and occasionally the general public; provides basic responses based on own knowledge of PHO's mandate, services, priorities and procedures, or referring inquiries regarding information, documentation and assistance to other PHO staff; liaises with managers and staff throughout PHO to keep in touch with current activities.
- Prepares a variety of departmental documents, correspondence, reports, statistics and materials for the Medical Director/ IPAC Physician and staff; provides general administrative financial support for the business unit including reviewing/consolidating PHO accounts data, checking/processing invoices, P-card purchases and expense claims.
- Provides assistance on projects related to the development and implementation of office administrative procedures, systems and practices within PHO.
- Takes on other duties and responsibilities, as required.
- Knowledge and Skills Proficient with various computer systems and software programs including: database management, word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications.
- Highly organized with an ability to determine priorities while performing a variety of different administrative responsibilities with conflicting deadlines, particularly to determine the importance and urgency of issues, and to respond effectively to fluctuating work load demands in a fast paced environment.
- Analytical ability sufficient to review incoming correspondence and information requests and refer issues to the appropriate staff member, to determine the nature of calls received from management/staff and external contacts and provides appropriate general information in a timely manner.
- Written communication skills to compile information for meetings, create correspondence and reports, prepare presentations.
- Interpersonal and oral communication skills to respond to staff/client inquiries and maintain effective linkages with all levels of contacts.
- Ability to accurately and efficiently produce materials, with attention to detail in order to review/proof read documents for accuracy and completeness.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply administrative service principles, methods and practices to provide support to the business unit.
- Knowledge of the activities of the unit as well as PHO's mandate, services, priorities and procedures.
- Experience in electronic grant submission, review, and processing of major Provincial and Federal granting agencies.
Education and Experience
- Demonstrated administrative experience to provide support across multi-functional areas of the business unit.
- A minimum of three years of experience providing assistance at the Director/Manager level and above.
If you are interested in applying for this placement, please visit http://www.oahpp.ca/careers/index.html and click on the job title.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.