Bridgewater, Nova Scotia
Deadline March 17, 2013
Position Vacancy – COMP # SSR 162-12, Closing date: March 17, 2013
Facility: South Shore Regional Hospital
Location: Bridgewater, N.S.
Position: Health Promoter (Program Administrator II)
Program: Health Promoter – Healthy Communities
Type: Permanent, Full Time
Internal applicants must submit a current resume with their application to be considered for the position.
Reporting to the Public Health Leader, the Health Promoter works in collaboration with the Healthy Communities Content Lead to ensure policies and programs are planned and implemented towards improved population health, reduced health inequities and, in a way that addresses local population health needs.
The Health Promoter works with community partners across multiple levels to take action and advocate for policy and system change to create supportive social, economic, and physical environments that protect and promote health.
The Health Promoter focuses on upstream determinants and applies comprehensive, evidence informed strategies. Seek and advocate for policy and system change to create supportive social, economic, and physical environments to protect and promote health.
The Health Promoter provides leadership and advanced knowledge in health promotion and community development theory and practice to promote and support the development of policies and physical, social and built environments to reduce health inequities, address the determinants of health, and prevent chronic disease and injury. The Health Promoter uses health promotion approaches which support empowerment, participation, partnerships and equity to perform their work in a healthy public policy, community health assessments, community development and mobilization.
The Health Promoter shares a core set of public heath attitudes and values, applies public health core competencies to all of his/her work and; is accountable to provide competent, safe and ethical professional practice.
The Health Promoter exhibits sound professional judgment and initiative while working within the Mission, Vision and Strategic Directions of the South Shore District Health Authority (SSDHA) and incorporates into daily practice the Core Competencies and Values of the SSDHA: Excellence, Integrity, Respect, Accountability and Leadership and ensures these guiding principles and practices along with ethics, safety, quality, partnerships and inter-professional collaboration are integrated within the work that they do and through the messages they deliver.
- Masters degree in Public Health or Health Promotion and 1 year experience required, or Bachelors of Health
- Promotion and 3-5 years experience required.
- Recent experience in advocating for healthy public policies at a local or provincial level; initiating, establishing and mobilizing multi-sector partnerships; and gathering and analyzing information to identify public health issues.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle.
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft office programs.
- Completion of Public Health Agency of Canada Skills Enhancement courses for the Public Health Practitioner would be considered an asset.
- Understanding of a population based approach.
- Demonstrates the core competencies for public health as outlined in the job analysis.
- Knowledge of Health Protection Act and other relevant Regulations, Legislation and Acts.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively, including team building, negotiation, conflict management.
- Demonstrated ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively in a multidisciplinary setting with a strong focus on citizen/community.
- Demonstrated accountability and responsibility.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and be self-directed.
- Demonstrated judgment and decision making skills.
- Demonstrated leadership abilities.
- Commitment to promoting a culture of respect that supports safety, ethical practices, cultural awareness and organizational health.
- Commitment to continuous improvement and innovation.
- Demonstrated commitment to health and safety.
- Physical capabilities to perform the duties of the position.
- Demonstrated good attendance in current and past employment.
- Exemplary work history as demonstrated in current and past employment.
- Travel will be required.
- Ability to work flexible hours, evenings and weekends
As per current N.S.G.E.U. (Public Health) collective agreement
Position to commence: Immediately.
Submit current resume to:
Announcement Date: March 7, 2013
Closing Date: March 17, 2013
Please refer to competition # SSR 162-12
Lisa Burton, People Services Consultant
Applications must be received in People Services, SSRH site no later than 4:30 p.m. on the due date. All newly hired
employees will be required to submit a criminal record check and vulnerable sector check and assume any associated costs, as a condition of employment with South Shore Health. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. This site has a smoke-free/scent-reduced environment policy.