North Bay, Ontario
Deadline April 8, 2013
Position: Community Health Promoter – OPSEU – Healthy Schools & Families Team
Hours of Work: Temporary – Full-Time – 35 Hours Per Week (1.00 FTE)
Effective: June 17, 2013 to June 13, 2014 (Subject to Change)
Location: As Soon As Possible Main Office - North Bay
Additional Info: Leave of Absence
Under the direction of the Program Manager, Healthy Schools & Families Team, the Community Health Promoter, a member of an interdisciplinary team, works with community partners including schools and priority populations to meet the requirements of the Chronic Diseases and Injuries Program Standard as outlined in the Ontario Public Health Standards (2008). Work involves planning, developing, implementing and evaluating a range of assessment and surveillance, health promotion and policy development initiatives.
Education, Experience, Skills &Abilities:
- Baccalaureate degree (4 years) in health science or applied science (health promotion)
- Two years experience in community health promotion programming grounded in knowledge of community development process, health policy analysis and development, social marketing, mass communication, media advocacy, application of behaviour change theory
- Experience in managing and coordinating health related projects
- Demonstrated experience in mentoring, facilitating and engaging youth populations
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate community partnerships with diverse groups (e.g., social services, not for profit, health professionals)
- Ability to critically assess applied health research and develop detailed program proposals and reports
- Demonstrated ability in program planning and evaluation
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to use computer technology including MS word, PowerPoint, Internet, email and social media
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment
- Ability to work flex hours as required
- Requires a valid “G” Ontario Driver’s Licence and access to a reliable vehicle
As a condition of employment, the successful candidate will be required to provide a Criminal Reference Check including the Vulnerable Sector Check: recent, within four (4) months at their expense and will be required to comply with the Health Unit’s immunization policies.
Hourly Rate: Minimum $29.39 to Maximum $33.08 (plus 4% vacation pay and 4% in lieu of public holidays)
Closing Date: April 8, 2013 at 4:00 p.m.
Please forward your letter of application, resume, proof of education required for this position to:
Wendy Moore, Human Resources Assistant
Attention: Job #PH/2013/009
North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit, 681 Commercial Street, North Bay, ON P1B 4E7 or
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Once posting is closed, please refer to website for status of job posting
The Health Unit is an Equal Opportunity Employer