Deadline August 30, 2013
Location: Health Protection Services – Travel Health & Immunization Services
Position: Public Health Nurse
Salary Range: $36.03 - $44.34 per hour (ONA)
Note: Applicants will be considered for interviews based on the information provided in their application to the Region of Halton including a current resume and cover letter. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration will be contacted.
This position is being offered on a full-time basis working 35 hours per week.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing which includes preparation in Public Health Nursing from a recognized University is required. Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario is required. Recent experience providing travel counselling, and immunization services to clients of all age groups. Current certificate of CPR. Certification in travel medicine preferred. Two years of recent experience in counselling, educating, program planning and implementation related to communicable disease and immunization services case preferred. Excellent writing and communication skills, skills in critical appraisal of research studies, and knowledge of health promotion are essential. Must be proficient with computers and a variety of software packages such as Microsoft Office, IRIS, Seibel, and Travax. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Travel may be required between locations within Halton Region. Incumbent must supply own transportation and have a valid Ontario driver’s license. Flexibility in work schedule is required for on-call work on a rotational basis and for the provision of Immunization services in alternate clinic sites.
- Using standards of promoting health, building individual/community capacity, building relationships, facilitating access and equity, and professional responsibility and accountability, the nursing duties will include the following:
- Works in a specialized program to provide counselling, case management, consultation and immunization services to individuals, health professionals and groups on travel health and immunization
- Develops and implements educational and health promotion initiatives on a variety of infectious diseases, vaccine preventable diseases (VPD) and travel health
- Assesses client health history and immunization history as part of immunization service delivery
- Provides advice on immunization through a telephone intake line
- Collaborates with staff to develop and implement educational activities for health professionals, groups and the community on travel health and immunizations
- Demonstrates flexibility to meet service and program needs
- Develops and reviews, on an ongoing basis, educational resources, medical directive and policies and procedures for the travel health clinic and immunization services
- Provides immunization in a travel health clinic, schools and community-based clinics.
- Participates in activities related to the management of emergencies of public health importance such as mass immunization clinics
- Participates in project and program planning, development, implementation, and evaluation.
- Responsible for utilizing an electronic data base as part of case management systems.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.
Posted: August 1, 2013
Posting Expiry: August 30, 2013
Posting #: H-212-13
Note: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment.
Halton Job Postings: http://webaps.halton.ca/about/jobs/JobPostings.cfm