Deadline August 26, 2013
The Hastings & Prince Edward Counties Healthy Communities Partnership (HCP) includes four municipalities: The County of Prince Edward, Hastings County, the City of Quinte West, and the City of Belleville. The purpose of the HCP is to advance effective and sustainable policy that will enhance the health of people living in Hastings and Prince Edward counties. This is achieved through a process of building relationships between institutions, community groups and citizens, and enhancing our collective capacity to identify and address health issues that will result in improved health outcomes and quality of life. HCP membership is open to all organizations, networks and interested individuals in Hastings and Prince Edward counties. One component of the 2013 HCP plans is to work toward policy that will increase the amount of time children aged 0 – 4 are physically active at child care centres.
The health of our children is shaped by the environment that they grow up in. The places where children learn and play create an environment that influences whether or not children end up healthy and active. When children do not have access to an environment that helps them to eat well and be active their health and quality of life is undermined. Current research demonstrates that children who attend daycare are more likely to be overweight than those who stay home with a parent (Geoffory et al., 2012).
To address the issue of physical activity and nutrition environments in child care settings, we are seeking the services of an experienced consultant to complete a background assessment and facilitate initial planning for physical activity and healthy eating policy strategy for children aged 0 – 4 in child care centres.
Description of Work
The consultant is asked to provide the following deliverables:
1) Produce a background report by accessing and compiling information that should include:
- A description of physical activity, sedentary behaviour, and healthy eating of children aged 0-4 in Hastings and Prince Edward counties/Ontario/Canada based on available data (some information to be provided to consultant by the health unit for inclusion in the report).
- A review of research and grey literature that considers the impact of child care settings on physical activity, sedentary behaviour and healthy eating.
- A review of the research and grey literature that considers what variables put children attending child care at increased risk of overweight and obesity.
- A scan of current work being done locally and provincially, and other promising opportunities (national and international) that can be leveraged to address these issues.
- An assessment of challenges and barriers to addressing these issues.
- Local stakeholder input and perspectives on what will facilitate and hinder progress on these issues (to be gathered through a small number of key stakeholder interviews and through a facilitated process at the event noted below).
2) Guide the development of an Early Years Physical Activity Policy working group by:
- Participating, with a small advisory committee, in the planning for and facilitating a professional development event for staff of child care settings.
- Presenting some information from the background assessment at the professional development event for child care staff and administration.
- Facilitating a session during the professional development event to identify priority areas for a physical activity policy in child care centres, and including a few questions on healthy eating (this information is to be included in the report).
- Facilitating an initial meeting of interested stakeholders to begin work on a policy development and implementation action plan.
Suggested timelines are as follows:
- Confirmation of contract by September 11, 2013
- First planning meeting week of September 16, 2013
- Draft a data gathering plan by September 23, 2013
- Complete data gathering by October 31 , 2013
- Professional development event late October – early November 2013
- Initial meeting of policy work group – by November 29, 2013
- Draft written report – December 6, 2013
- Final report – December 13, 2013
Ownership of Materials
All material produced under the agreement will be the sole property of the Hastings & Prince Edward Counties Healthy Communities Partnership both during and following the terms of the agreement. If material has been previously published or is in the public domain, references will be cited to the appropriate sources.
Proposals in PDF format to be submitted by noon, local time August 26th, 2013. Please submit proposal to the attention of Allison Phillips, Public Health Dietitian, at email@example.com
The proposal must include a profile of expertise and core competencies relevant to the project, description of relevant work done previously, an initial work plan with deliverables, as well as a detailed budget itemizing costs. In addition we request names and contact information for two relevant references.
If you have questions regarding this RFP, please contact Allison Phillips, Public Health Dietitian, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates selected for an interview will be contacted the week of August 26th, 2013. Interviews will be scheduled September 3rd – 9th, 2013.
Please note hiring is dependent upon receipt of 2013 Healthy Communities Funding from the Ministry of Health and Long-term Care.