Deadline August 14, 2013
WellFort is now recruiting two Nurse Educators for its Diabetes Education Program (DEP)
WellFort is a non-profit, values based organization that provides health promotion and prevention programs, primary health care, oral health care, diabetes education, and works with local residents and partners to enhance community capacity. Innovative client centered services are delivered through the use of interdisciplinary teams operating through a shared care model. WellFort is committed to providing inclusive, accessible and sustainable programs and services to a diversely rich community through its service delivery philosophy, Open Focused Care (OFC). OFC is based on four pillars: Advanced Access, Anti Oppressive, Asset Based and Fluid and Mobile. WellFort is seeking individuals with a passion and commitment towards innovation and an inclusive workplace that respects and values the diversity of every individual.
Our DEP offers education and support services for people with type 2 diabetes and pre-diabetes.
- Plan, deliver, promote, and evaluate community-based diabetes education and self-management programs.
- Provide client driven counselling to individuals, including assessment and monitoring.
- Create health promotion and educational materials to suit the specific circumstances of client groups.
- Participate in outreach and educational activities such as health fairs, grocery tours and exercise activities.
- Maintain EHR, communicate with client, primary care providers and others involved in the circle of care.
- Collaborate with stakeholders in program development, health promotion, and community development.
- Registered Nurse and a member in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario.
- Preferred 2 years experience as a diabetes educator doing individual counselling in a similiar setting.
- Certified Diabetes Educator (CDE) or willingness to acquire a definite asset.
- Demonstrated experience in health promotion, self-management and group facilitation.
- Experience with program planning, development, implementation, and evaluation
- Sensitivity to and awareness of cultural, racial, economic, and socially diverse communities and how individual circumstances influence diabetes self-management.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, along with the ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Familiarity with client driven and self-management approaches to chronic disease prevention/management.
- Proficient with computers and software applications including MS Office and electronic health records.
- Previous experience in community health/social services and/or a values based organization is an asset.
- Fluency in languages relevant to the residents of Peel an asset.
- The successful candidate will demonstrate a willingness to participate in WellFort’s commitment to create an inclusive, barrier free health centre and an ability to work interdependently and respectfully in an interdisciplinary team.
The position requires flexibility in hours as the position entails evening and weekend work.
Salary Range: $55,251 - $66,568 with a comprehensive benefits package including HOOPP pension plan
Please forward your cover letter and resume by August 14, 2013 to: Email: [email protected]. Please quote “DEP-RN” in the subject line.
No phone calls please. Only successful candidates will be contacted.