Deadline August 20, 2013
Status: Part Time (0.5 FTE)
Sector: Community – Family Health Team
LHIN: Central West Local Health Integration Network (CW LHIN)
Region: Peel Region
Deadline: August 20, 2013
Queen Square Family Health Team (QSFHT) provides primary health care, including chronic disease management, health promotion and disease prevention, to a rostered population of patients in the city of Brampton and surrounding area. The FHT employs an inter-professional team of health care providers who work in a collaborative model of care.
Operating within his/her full scope of practice, the Chiropodist will collaborate with physicians, the interdisciplinary team and staff to provide a full range of quality services in patient care and the delivery of programs and services. Services include assessment and treatment of acute pathological foot conditions, surgical procedures, and preventive and palliative foot care.
In addition to direct patient care, duties of the Chiropodist include clinical, health education, care scheduling, equipment maintenance and professional development. The Chiropodist will be encouraged to operate within their full scope of practice and to work co‐operatively with all members of the health care team in the promotion of a client health and the prevention of disease.
The Chiropodist is ultimately accountable to the Executive Director of the FHT.
- Develop the Chiropodist service portfolio based on evidence and based practice
- The Chiropodist provides foot care/wound care for FHT patients
- Assesses disorders or dysfunctions and treatment through therapeutic, orthotic or palliative means
- Differentiates between disorders of the foot arising from systemic or general disease and those arising from local, structural and/or functional disorders
- Recognizes clients have conditions beyond their scope of practice and refers to other appropriate health care professionals (e.g. primary care provider)
- Accurately takes/records/utilizes the chiropody history utilizing the Electronic Medical Record (EMR)
- Designs and implements a management plan based on presenting conditions/the client’s individual needs
- Participates in the development of the FHT programs based on evidence and best practice
- Ensures appropriate antiseptic techniques, safe procedures and isolation practices are maintained in the clinical setting
- Encourages clients to participate in management of their care plan
- Uses proper casting techniques for orthotic and off‐loading devices ‐ gives footwear education and/or refers clients for footwear modification as required
- Communicates foot health education in a variety of settings to clients, interdisciplinary health care professionals or others as agreed to with the FHT
- Plans for future clinic needs, ensuring that FHT clinical goals and objectives are attained
- Ensures safe working practices and that all clinical equipment is in satisfactory operating condition
- Prepares quarterly reports and monitors statistical data
- Prepares, monitors and controls supplies necessary for clinic operation
- Contributes to the development and implementation of policies and procedures as appropriate
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Completion of Bachelor of Science and Graduate Advanced Diploma of Health Sciences (Chiropody)
- Two to three years of clinical experience
- Licensed with the College of Chiropodists of Ontario as a Chiropodist
- Experience working in primary care considered an asset
- Knowledge of and working experience with computer system, including EMR and applications
- Self-starter, with proven problem solving and critical thinking abilities, managing effectively in a dynamic, changing environment
- Proven team player who contributes to positive change and innovation
- Knowledge and proficiency in current, evidenced-based methods and practices health care delivery specific to Chiropody
- Honed patient assessment and triage skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency in the use of the computer hardware/software, particularly in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook
- Knowledge and experienced in the application of electronic medical records (EMR)
- Other attributes include a sound understanding of/commitment to the Social Determinants of Health, and ability to effectively contribute to efforts of an interdisciplinary team, contributing to comprehensive care.
Queen Square Family Health Team offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental benefits. We also offer an attractive and rewarding work environment. Please note that only positions that work over 21 hours per week will be eligible for the benefit package.
Queen Square Family Health Team is an equal opportunity employer. We are situated in a multi-cultural neighborhood and are committed to attracting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce who will work together to create & sustain a vibrant, healthy, safe and caring community.
While we thank all applicants, only those under consideration will be contacted for an interview. In Accordance with The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Queen Square Family Health Team will provide accommodation, accessible formats and communication supports for the interview upon request
Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed resume to the attention of: [email protected]
Please include the following reference in the subject line: CHRP-01082013
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note any telephone/ email inquiries related to this role won’t be accepted.