Deadline August 29, 2013
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit http://www.oahpp.ca.
The Manager, Education Services is responsible for leading the planning, development and management of professional development and education services to support the uptake of developing knowledge, leading to change in individual practice and system-level innovation across the public health sector.
Provides expert advice and recommendations to generate a comprehensive suite of learning opportunities, tools and modalities relevant and accessible to the breadth of disciplines and practice settings to reflect PHO’s commitment to development of public health professional and to support better decision-making and practice in public health.
- Provides strategic leadership and advisory services in the planning and management of professional development and education services based on adult education principles and their application to deliver effective knowledge translation.
- Provides expertise and specialized support to the development of educational and professional development activities undertaken by content experts across the organization;
- Identifies professional development and education needs and opportunities for PHO staff and PHO clients.
- Leads the development, delivery and evaluation of an array of educational activities that include: ongoing learning through online learning and web-based tools; regular repeating events such as weekly PHO Grand Rounds, and annually The Ontario Public Health Convention (TOPHC).
- Responsible for the development of eLearning capacity, quality and delivery of eLearning courses.
- Provide advice and support to other knowledge translation activities as part of PHO’s knowledge product development and publication process.
- Work closely with inter-disciplinary scientific programs and other program areas across PHO to ensure that the outcomes of PHO’s research and knowledge development activities enable policy and practice action.
- Seeks input from the SRKE Advisory Committee regarding initiatives that support local public health units in the areas of professional development and education, including student placement and preceptorship, and knowledge exchange streams.
- Facilitates academic student placements to make PHO a preferred placement opportunity and to assist with developing the next generation of public health professionals.
- Identify innovative approaches and partnerships to support professional development and education reach.
- Develops and fosters relationships with organizations that provide knowledge services and educational opportunities.
- Develops own program operational plan and goals, defines budget, service and performance indicators for education services and ensures consistency in corporate requirements and approval processes for financial, human resources, information technology, operational and business planning functions.
- Aligns unit goals, objectives and activities with other public health system improvement goals and objectives; contributes to the development and implementation of the department’s mandate and operating procedures; identifies new projects that fit PHO’s mandate and recommends internal process improvements and solutions.
- Manages and directs staff, to ensure congruence with PHO’s internal policies and procedures, professional standards, Collective Agreement requirements and other relevant standards, legislation or regulations, including: providing direction and leadership in the implementation of new techniques and standards; assigning staff and implementing work/vacation schedules; setting clear responsibilities and objectives and evaluating performance; advising on training needs, participating in recruitment and selection of staff; dealing with disciplinary issues and responding to grievances in conjunction with PHO’s Human Resources management programs.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated expert knowledge of adult education principles and understanding of adult learning and experience with practical application.
- Proven success with eLearning training design and development, project management, and implementation.
- Understanding of knowledge transfer / knowledge exchange theory and practice.
- Skilled in managing multiple projects and delivering measureable results.
- Excellent problem recognition and solving abilities with minimal supervision on a range of complex tasks.
- Effective planning and organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to set priorities and meet milestones.
- Knowledge of the roles, authority and needs of internal and external stakeholders.
- Knowledge of evolving means of internet delivery/access to learning.
- Knowledge of various computer systems and software programs including: MS Office (word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications), SharePoint, eLearning software such as Articulate Storyline.
Education and Experience
- Masters’ level education with a combination of education in the areas of: a) public health, health sciences or equivalent area of study; and, b) adult education.
- Five years progressive work experience and proven leadership expertise, in planning and managing a program or function within a public health, academic, research, health care institution or a specialized setting/complex environment.
Job Status: Full Time Regular
Posting date: 8/8/2013
Closing date: 8/29/2013
Street Address: 480 University Avenue, Toronto, Ontario, M5G 1V2
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/About/Careers/Pages/Current-Job-Opp... and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications and competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.