Deadline August 26, 2013
Job ID: 13-0102
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians. For more information visit http://www.oahpp.ca.
This position is part of the Regional Control Networks (RICNS). For more information, please visit http://www.ricn.on.ca.
The Network Assistant provides administrative support to the Network Coordinator and the Infection Control Consultant within the physical location of the Regional Infection Control Network (RICN), and supports the collaborative working relationships and activities between the Network and its regional stakeholders, as required.
Position Title: Network Assistant, Northeastern Ontario Infection Control Network (NEOICN)
Department: Infection Prevention and Control
Duration: Full-Time Regular
Location: 199 Larch Street, Sudbury
Compensation Group: OPSEU
Position Status: OPEN
Job Code: 0AD8
Salary: $21.43 - $24.16
Hours of Work: 36.25 hours per week
Posting Date: August 12, 2013
Closing Date: August 26, 2013
- Coordinates the flow of information and documents into the RICN, prioritizes material and ensures urgent matters are brought to the attention of the appropriate staff in a timely manner; handles routine matters in the absence of the Network Coordinator or as directed.
- Makes arrangements for all meetings of the staff and stakeholder groups including: determining priorities of appointments, booking meeting locations/rooms, preparing agendas, compiling and distributing related background material as appropriate, making arrangements for teleconferencing and videoconferencing, coordinating travel/accommodation requirements for out-of-town meetings/conferences and processing travel expenses as required.
- Responds to incoming calls into the office from RICN stakeholders, such as: government officials, private companies, health-care providers and occasionally the general public. identifies and flags urgent/priority issues for RICN staff and/or provides basic responses based on own knowledge of the Agency/RICN mandate, services, priorities and procedures; refers inquiries regarding information, documentation and assistance to other staff; liaises with RICN stakeholders, managers and staff throughout PHO to keep in touch with current activities.
- Prepares a variety of documents, correspondence, meeting minutes, reports, statistics and materials for staff and RICN committees as required; provides general administrative financial support for the Network including reviewing/consolidating PHO accounts data, checking/processing invoices, preparing purchase requisitions, expense claims and vendor cheque requisitions.
- Administers the Network’s physical location by procuring supplies, equipment, making cleaning and security arrangements; manages the local library of books, DVD’s, etc. by lending and retrieving materials; creates and maintains a filing system for all materials; contacts corporate IT staff for local technological issues, ensures that the RICNAC database is current and operational, and updates the local Network’s web portal as required.
- Provides assistance on projects related to the development and implementation of office administrative procedures, systems and practices within PHO; takes on other duties and responsibilities, as required.
Knowledge and Skills
- Proficient with various computer systems and software programs including: database management, word processing, spreadsheet and presentation applications; familiarity with computerized office technology and processes.
- Highly organized with an ability to determine priorities while performing a variety of different administrative responsibilities with conflicting deadlines, particularly to determine the importance and urgency of issues and to respond effectively to fluctuating work load demands in a fast paced environment.
- Analytical ability sufficient to review incoming correspondence and information requests and refer issues to the appropriate staff member, to determine the nature of calls received from management/staff and external contacts, and provides appropriate general information in a timely manner, or flag urgent/priority issues for other staff.
- Basic understanding of financial management processes and procedures.
- Written communication skills to compile information for meetings, create correspondence and reports, prepare presentations, draft minutes.
- Interpersonal and oral communication skills to respond to staff/client inquiries and maintain effective linkages with all levels of contacts.
- Ability to accurately and efficiently produce materials, with attention to detail in order to review/proof read documents for accuracy and completeness.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply administrative service principles, methods and practices to provide support to the Network.
- Knowledge of the activities of the Network as well as of the PHO's mandate, services, priorities and procedures.
- Ability to work independently and on own with minimal supervision, may be required to travel within geographic area.
Education and Experience
- Demonstrated administrative experience to provide support across multi-functional areas of the Network and work with project groups/committees.
- Preferably with at least five years of experience providing assistance at the manager level.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/About/Careers/Pages/Current-Job-Opp... and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications and competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.