Deadline September 27, 2013
Job ID 13-0130
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world. PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians For more information on Public Health Ontario, please visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca.
Provides executive support to the Chief Information Officer and manages administrative matters for the department managers and the Information Management and Information Technology (IM and IT) office.
- Manages the flow of information, documents, and activities for the Office; identifies, prioritizes and ensures urgent matters with potential impact on the Department/PHO are brought to the attention of the Chief, appropriate PHO executive or dealt with on own on behalf of the Executive.
- Establishes and maintains liaison with PHO executives, management and staff and with senior government officials, private sector and health care providers to act as a focal point of contact to the executive’s office, manage corporate linkages and protocol and to respond to inquiries.
- Identifies, researches, and ensures the availability of information for review by the Chief and recommends/prepares materials on behalf of the Chief in preparation for meetings and requests.
- Coordinates, drafts and/or delegates response to correspondence and information requests.
- Manages the Chief’s calendar, making arrangements for all meetings including determining priorities of appointment requests, booking meetings; preparing agendas, compiling and distributing materials.
- Provides support on project activities and committees, led or attended by the Chief; tracks action items, ensures that possible contentious issues are identified in advance, are thoroughly researched and recommends responses on behalf of the Chief.
- Provides senior level secretariat support to Board/committees.
- Coordinates administrative logistics for meetings, committees and conferences including scheduling/rescheduling, booking meeting rooms, catering and IT/video-conference equipment; making travel and accommodation arrangements as necessary; organizing and distributing materials, agenda items and supporting documents/materials for the Chief, Managers and participants.
- Provides administrative services in support of IMIT Department services including preparing SODO orders (e.g., new accounts, software installs, VPN/PKI), ordering/changing wireless devices and services from service provider for all PHO staff; managing account billing issues; arranging set up of services through OPS IT Cluster as required; acting as local contact for other administrative and executive assistants for support or escalation of technical issues; coordinating software purchases and maintaining a record of purchases and renewals
- Develops training materials and provides training to new employees on the use of common IMIT tools (network account, email services, SharePoint, Lync).
- Coordinates information (e.g., briefings, meetings with outside organizations) for the Chief.
- Writes, reviews, and/or edits a variety of department documents, briefing materials, meeting minutes, or articles and suggests changes in content/format; generates various documents, reports, and presentations for the Chief.
- Prepares and monitors the office budget; checks/processes invoices, P-card purchases, expense claims and provides regular financial updates.
- Assists and/or fulfils IMIT management and staff purchases and Pcard transactions which are authorized and confirmed.
- Coordinates the unit’s administrative staff, including setting clear responsibilities and objectives, advising on staff training needs, provides direction and leadership in the implementation of new techniques and standards.
- Provides input and participation on projects related to the development and implementation of office administrative procedures, systems and practices within the Agency.
- Organizes and coordinates IMIT team meetings including agendas, presentations and guest speakers.
- Acts as a member of the Administrative Professionals Forum.
Knowledge and Skills
- Knowledge of executive office protocols to manage a range of stakeholder relationships, projects and administration for the Office of the Chief.
- Skills in providing senior level secretariat support to Boards/committees.
- Skills to prepare and monitor the office budget and to process invoices, purchases and expense claims.
- Proficient with various computer systems and software programs (MS Office) including: database management, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, scheduling and e-mail applications.
- Knowledge of administrative service principles, methods, practices and file management systems to provide direction to the unit’s administrative staff and to develop related procedures, systems and practices.
- Knowledge of the programs, services and/or activities of the assigned office, as well as of the Agency mandate, services, priorities and procedures.
- Education and Experience
- Completion of a post-secondary secretarial or administrative assistant program or equivalent.
- Five years of experience providing executive assistance and support to a senior management position.
Job Status: Full Time Regular
Posting date: 9/13/2013
Closing date: 9/27/2013
Street Address: 480 University Avenue
Province: Ontario [ON]
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/About/Careers/Pages/default.aspx and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.