Deadline September 30, 2013
Salary Range: $36.03 - $44.34 per hour (ONA)
Note: Applicants will be considered for interviews based on the information provided in their application to the Region of Halton including a current resume and cover letter. We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration will be contacted.
This position is being offered on a Casual (temporary) full-time basis working 35 hours per week from date of hire to approximately August 2014.
Bachelor of Science in Nursing which includes preparation in Public Health Nursing or Registered Nurse with a Certificate in Public Health Nursing from a recognized University is required. Current registration with the College of Nurses of Ontario is required. The ideal candidate will have recent experience in counseling in the areas of birth control and pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections including HIV/AIDS, comfort and experience dealing with sexual orientation issues and injection drug use/harm reduction issues is required. Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external groups to accomplish client’s specific and organizational goals and objectives. An equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Travel will be required between locations in Halton Region. Incumbent must supply own transportation.
- Using standards of promoting health, building individual/community capacity, building relationships, facilitating access and equity, and professional responsibility and accountability, the nursing duties will include the following:
- Works in a specialized program to provide counseling and consultation to individuals, families and groups on sexuality, birth control, relationships and the testing, diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases including HIV/AIDS, sexual orientation and needle exchange/harm reduction related issues.
- Provides pregnancy testing and counseling regarding options for pregnancy.
- Conducts Point of Care HIV testing.
- Works in the Health Department, Sexual Health Clinic.
- Provides in-service education to staff, agencies, schools and other community groups.
- Provides Needle Exchange outreach services 2 – 4 shifts per month.
- Investigates and maintains surveillance of reports of infectious disease (STIs), including ongoing case management and contact tracing.
- Functions as a team member and is expected to keep accurate health records and statistical information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Posted: September 19, 2013
Posting Expiry: September 30, 2013
Posting #: H-232-13
Note: Personal information collected through the job application process will only be used for the purpose of determining qualifications for employment. Questions about the job application process can be directed to the contact to the right: http://webaps.halton.ca/about/jobs/JobPostings.cfm.