Deadline December 23, 2013
Nine month contract
Job ID 13-0188
Public Health Ontario (PHO) is a Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHOP, visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca.
Position Title: Research Coordinator, Knowledge Services and Evaluation
Department: Infection Prevention and Control
Duration: Full-Time Temporary (nine months)
Location: 480 University Avenue
Compensation Group: AMAPCEO
Position Status: Open
Job Code: 16PGS General Scientific
Salary: $59,620 - $72,826
Hours of Work: 36.25 per week
Posting Date: December 9, 2013
Closing Date: December 23, 2013
Reporting to the Manager, Knowledge Synthesis and Evaluation, Infection Prevention and Control, the primary responsibility of the Research Coordinator will be the overall coordination of literature reviews to support the revision of the support evidence review on protection of health care works from respiratory Pathogens.
- Contributes to the design and undertakes literature reviews and provides syntheses and critical appraisal of existing evidence and develops summaries.
- Monitors the progress of research activities; develops and maintains records of research activities, and prepares periodic and ad hoc reports, as required by investigators, administrators, funding agencies, and/or regulatory bodies.
- Supports the work of expert advisory panels and other project-specific committees as needed.
- Develops draft and contributes to final written material including conference abstracts, commentaries, manuscripts, reports, summaries and syntheses of evidence arising from research, and creates background materials suitable for inclusion in policy briefs, technical reports, background documents, presentations, FAQs and correspondence.
- Provides rapid response to internal and external requests for scientific and technical advice.
- Applies quantitative and/or qualitative research methodologies to the collection, analysis and interpretation of study data.
- Coordinates and conducts complex primary data collection activities such as key informant interviews, observations or focus groups and leads thematic or other analysis to align with qualitative approach; also administers questionnaires and surveys as required.
- Manages study data by designing and organizing scoring procedures and computer databases.
- Completes statistical analysis including descriptive and inferential analyses; summarizes results in tabular and graphical form for use in PowerPoint presentations, manuscripts, and other reporting formats.
- Prepares Research Ethics Board protocols submissions, and maintains other necessary regulatory documents.
- Coordinates the grant application submission process (e.g. uploading files to electronic submission sites, collecting signatures).
- Assists with the development of research grant applications as directed by the principal investigator, this may include drafting literature reviews, protocols and analytic sections, appendices and budgets.
- Develops and executes a knowledge exchange plan driven by knowledge user type, and knowledge exchange principles; maintains collaborative working relationships within the Agency and external collaborators.
- Manages documents and processes on SharePoint to ensure systems are set up to orderly archive and access relevant materials.
- Represents department on PHO and external committees and working groups, as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge and Skills
- Skill and expertise in conducting literature reviews, syntheses, and critical appraisals, sufficient to provide syntheses and critical appraisal of existing evidence, and to develop summaries.
- Knowledge and experience with quantitative and/or qualitative research methodology and related software applications (SPSS, SAS, NVivo), sufficient to apply quantitative and/or qualitative research methodologies to the collection, analysis and interpretation study data.
- Skill and expertise in conducting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data and research in area of own specialty in order to complete statistical analysis including descriptive and inferential analyses.
- Skill and expertise in developing proposals, reports, and presentations.
- Effective project management, research, analytical skills in order to support the work of expert advisory panels and other project-specific committees as needed.
- Skill and the ability to work in a matrix management structure and within cross disciplinary teams.
- Planning, organizing, project management skills and initiative in order to work efficiently under conditions of multiple deadlines and changing priorities with meticulous attention to detail.
- Skill and ability to approach and manage assignments in a fast-paced environment.
- Effective interpersonal, teamwork and relationship building skills.
- Office computer and data management skills with proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Project); familiarity with SharePoint in order to manage documents and processes on SharePoint.
Education and Experience
- Master’s degree in public health, social sciences or related discipline, in order to serve as the primary administrative point of contact for internal research staff, and as the principle operational liaison for other research organizations, funding agencies and regulating bodies.
- Three to five years of experience supporting research at an academic department, research institute or organization.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.publichealthontario/careers and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position, however, only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.