Deadline January 13, 2014
Halton Food Council:
The Halton Food Council is an independent, non-profit organization composed of members representing a wide range of sectors and interests within our community. Since its establishment in 2008, the Council has been engaged in a number of initiatives to develop awareness of food system opportunities and issues and to promote food security with a common voice.
This position will support the Halton Food Council (HFC) in its efforts to work with Halton Region, its Municipalities and community at large to realize the goals of the Halton Food Charter and to develop a sustainable food system in Halton. This position is funded by a Trillium grant for a 3 year term.
- Create a strong network of organizations, local and regional public officials, institutions, corporate supporters, and other community stakeholders to develop sustainable food systems in the region
- Develop and cultivate relationships with local and regional public officials, partner agencies, networks, coalitions and key decision makers
- Assist with the advancement of policy agendas and initiatives of the HFC
- Develop and implement a plan to ensure the long term sustainability of the Halton Food Council
- Foster and facilitate community food-related initiatives and innovative partnerships
- Educate policymakers about the importance of a strong regional food system as it relates to the promotion of health, sustainability and sound public policies for the region
- Create and implement a plan for a local food systems gaps analysis
Provide support to current and future workgroups of the HFC including:
- Community Garden workgroup –responsible for supporting the implementation and evaluation of the advocacy plan
- Community Food Collaborative workgroup –responsible for supporting the creation, implementation and evaluation of a community engagement strategy
- Support the creation, implementation and evaluation of the communication plan of the HFC including brand development, website support, social media, e-newsletters and other HFC materials
- Identify and respond to opportunities to provide expert consultation on a variety of local food system issues (eg. Rural Agricultural Strategy) as directed by the Halton Food Council
- Support the HFC in revising and updating its Strategic Plan
- Organize events, workshops, etc. to educate, share information and foster partnerships and to support the work of organizations
- Provide logistical and operational support to the Halton Food Council
Reports to: This position is accountable to the Halton Food Council.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Demonstrated experience and success in project planning, development, implementation and evaluation
- Demonstrated leadership, self-motivation, excellent organizational skills and creativity
- Knowledge of and demonstrated skill in policy development, networking and community relations
- Demonstrated experience in developing, and leading large and small group processes
- Demonstrated knowledge of local food system research and development with quantitative and qualitative data collection design and evaluation methods
- Excellent communication skills, including report writing, public speaking and social media experience
- Demonstrated ability to interact successfully with community leaders and volunteers
- Ability to meet deadlines, work independently, and work with a team
- Knowledge of food systems and food security
- Knowledge of budget management
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Proficient with various computer systems and software programs (MS Office) including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and preferably Publisher and Access and in content management of websites
- Ability to work flexible hours, think and plan strategically and work well with a diverse range of people
- Must have own transportation
Education and Experience:
- Post-secondary education, preferably in a related field such as food system policies, sustainable food systems, urban agriculture, food security, public health
- At least 2 years of experience in the food system in a public, non-profit, and/or for-profit environment
For additional information about this posting, please contact Mary O’Brien at mary.o’email@example.com.
Please submit your resume and covering letter outlining your interest in this position by January 13th, 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that only those candidates receiving an interview will be contacted.