Deadline February 7, 2014
Job ID 14-0028
Public Health Ontario ("PHO" / "Agency") is Crown corporation dedicated to protecting and promoting the health of all Ontarians and reducing inequities in health. As a hub organization, PHO links public health practitioners, front-line health workers and researchers to the best scientific intelligence and knowledge from around the world.
PHO provides expert scientific and technical support relating to infection prevention and control; surveillance and epidemiology; health promotion, chronic disease and injury prevention; environmental and occupational health; health emergency preparedness; and public health laboratory services to support health providers, the public health system and partner ministries in making informed decisions and taking informed action to improve the health and security of Ontarians.
For more information about PHO, visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca.
The Executive Assistant provides primary executive support to the Vice President, Corporate Services and Human Resources, managing a range of senior office management administrative matters, liaising with internal clients and external customers in a professional manner and assisting with other Corporate Services activities and/or special projects.
- Coordinates the flow of information, documents, activities and individuals into the Vice President’s office, prioritizes and ensures urgent matters are brought to the attention of the Vice President or appropriate staff in a timely manner; handles routine matters on own in absence of the Vice President; coordinates and provides quality assurance to outgoing correspondence, responses or requests for information ensuring responses and required signatures are prepared/obtained in a timely manner.
- Manages the Vice President’s calendar and makes arrangements for all meetings including: determining priorities of appointments, booking meeting locations/rooms, preparing agendas, compiling and distributing related background material as appropriate, making arrangements for teleconferencing and videoconferencing, recording minutes and following up where required, coordinating travel/accommodation requirements for out-of-town meetings/conferences and processes travel expenses, as required.
- Writes, reviews, and edits a variety of portfolio documents, minutes, briefing notes, or articles and suggests changes in content/format; generates various documents, correspondence, presentations, reports, statistics, and materials used for example, at Board, Committee and/or team meetings. Oversees and manages the content of materials representing the Corporate Services Team, services and programs in hard copy and located on the internal Corporate Services websites.
- Assists the Corporate Services Management Team with key deliverables, including: business case development, researching information and costs as well as participating in the development of materials and presentations. Coordinates meetings including booking meeting locations/rooms, ensuring required equipment is available, preparing agendas, compiling and distributing related background material as appropriate and recording minutes, distributing and following up on outstanding actions.
- Provides budget management support for the portfolio including reviewing the budget and accounts data, checking/processing invoices, P-card purchases, expense claims and providing regular financial updates. Identifies financial risks and opportunities for improvement in the management of expenditures. Ensures responsible contract management processes are maintained; tracks, checks invoices, monitors expiry dates and flags for renewal. Collaborates with the Lead, HR Special Projects and Planning to develop actions required to resolve financial issues.
- Monitors critical deadlines for the Vice President to ensure that materials are prepared and/or actions are taken in a timely manner, such as items to be presented and/or referred to the organization’s Committees.
- Coordinates various aspects of portfolio special events and knowledge exchange projects, such as for conferences, symposiums or other events; contacting event facilitators, liaising with other staff and suppliers, receiving feedback on outcomes; orders and ensures adequate supplies of promotional materials for presentation to stakeholders or audience members.
- Proposes improvement to policies and procedures to enhance the effectiveness of Corporate Services processes and operations and if required, prepares/presents supporting evidence.
- Collaborates with Corporate Services staff, provides assistance on projects related to the development and implementation of office administrative procedures, systems and practices within Corporate Services and across the organization; contributes to the operation of the team and group as a whole, suggesting areas for improvement and possible solutions on internal processes.
- Represents the Corporate Services Team on various committees.
- Responds to incoming calls from senior government officials (all levels), private sector companies, and healthcare providers and occasionally the general public; provides basic responses based on own knowledge of Corporate Services and the organization’s mandate, services, priorities/procedures, or referring to appropriate staff; networks and liaises with Directors and staff throughout the organization to keep in touch with current activities.
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated administrative experience and skills to provide support across multi-functional areas of the business unit.
- Ability to determine priorities while performing a variety of different responsibilities with conflicting deadlines, particularly to determine the importance and urgency of issues and respond effectively to fluctuating work load demands in a fast paced environment; takes initiative on projects.
- Ability to work independently, under pressure and respond to deadlines; maintain integrity and confidentiality with sensitive information to avoid premature disclosure of information.
- Proficiency with various computer systems and software programs (MS Office) including: database management, word processing, spreadsheet, presentation, scheduling, e-mail applications & SharePoint; acts as technical expert to Corporate Services Team for standard office programs, such as the MS Office suite of programs.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply administrative service principles, methods and practices to provide support to the business unit.
- Ability to effectively organize, plan, promote, and implement special events;
- Working knowledge of the activities of the Executive Lead’s office, as well as the organization’s mandate, services, priorities and procedures.
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary school diploma.
- Certificate in a related field, i.e. administrative/business program.
- A minimum of five years of recent experience
- Some exposure to providing assistance at a Vice President level preferably in the healthcare or public sector environment.
Job Status Full Time Regular
Posting date 1/24/2014
Closing date 2/7/2014
Street Address 480 University Avenue
City Toronto, Ontario
If you are interested in applying for this position, please visit http://www.publichealthontario.ca/en/About/Careers/Pages/Current-Job-Opp... and click on the job title.
Your cover letter and resume must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications/competencies.
Thank you for your interest in this position. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.