Deadline February 14, 2014
One Year Contract position
Full time (35 hours per week)
Unison Health and Community Services is a non-profit, community-based organization that serves neighbourhoods in North West Toronto. Unison’s mission is working together to deliver accessible and high quality health and community services that are integrated, respond to needs, build on strengths and inspire change. Operating out of five locations, staff at Unison provide a range of clinical and community health services and programs.
We are currently recruiting a one-year, full time Registered Dietitian who is outgoing and has passion in community health to support our Diabetes Prevention and Diabetes Education programs. The successful candidate will join our Diabetes Prevention Team to outreach to a number of at-risk populations (Carribean, East Afican and Latin American) in the North West Toronto area. Regular screening clinics, healthy lifestyles workshops and individual counselling sessions will be offered to clients at risk of developing Type 2 Diabetes. He/she will also be supporting clients who have Pre-diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes being referred to our Diabetes Education Program. Regular group education sessions, individual assessment and ongoing support are offered on a regular basis.
We are seeking a candidate who demonstrates strong group facilitation and counselling skills, are experienced in working in community settings and demonstrates effective team work and innovation skills. Work hours include some evenings and weekends.
Responsibilities include the following:
- Work collaboratively with both the Diabetes Prevention Program (DPP) and Diabetes Education Centre (DEC). Contribute to the implementation and ongoing evaluation of both the diabetes prevention and diabetes education programs
With the DPP team,
- conduct diabetes risk screening in the communities such as places of worship and community groups, including weeknights and weekends
- provide nutrition consultation to individuals at the screening clinics
- deliver diabetes prevention and nutrition/healthy eating workshops
- conduct cooking programs
- conduct outreach in the community
With the DEC team,
- facilitate group education classes, and
- provide individual counselling to clients with Type 2 diabetes & pre-diabetes
- identify outreach opportunities to meet individual encounter targets, such as, deliver mobile clinics in the communities, deliver presentations/lunch n’ learn sessions to health professionals
- participate in team meetings and workgroup meetings as required
- electronic charting in purkinje/NOD and data encountering in Access database and excel
- spreadsheet, as required
- Perform other administrative tasks and duties as required.
The successful candidate will/have:
- be a member of the College of Dietitians of Ontario
- be self-directed and independent
- demonstrate effective teamwork
- demonstrate excellent communication skills with various stakeholders
- possess excellent interpersonal and group presentation skills
- experience in developing and implementing promotional activities.
- experience in diabetes education or chronic disease self-management, education and care
- sensitivity to and knowledge of the needs of a multicultural, multiracial community
- ability to speak a second language an asset
- ability to work evenings and weekends and travel within GTA are requirements of the position.
Interested candidates are asked to submit a résumé with covering letter by February 14th, 2014, 5:00 p.m.,
Hiring Committee, Community Dietitian (Diabetes Prevention and Education)
Unison Health and Community Services
12 Flemington Road
Toronto ON M6A 2N4
We encourage applications from people who are reflective of the diverse communities we serve.
Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.