No deadline noted
One (1) Full-Time Position
Location: Toronto Office (Downtown) - Some travel in Ontario may be required
The Ontario Public Health Association (OPHA, http://www.opha.on.ca ) is a non-for-profit member-based organization that is focused on advancing public health within the Province of Ontario and has played a key public health leadership role for over 62 years. OPHA is pleased to be advertising for a program and policy coordinator position to assist on a number of key initiatives and responsibilities for the association’s goals in advocacy, capacity building and knowledge exchange and transfer as well as supporting program operations. This position will report to the Program Manager.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Policy & Program Development support
- Identify key current and emerging health policy issues and analyze complex policy issues and their implications for the Ontario public health sector and organization.
- Assist in policy document development and review: research topics, draft policy document, and briefing notes.
- Assist in implementing healthy public policy at the local and provincial level.
- Represent OPHA and NRC program at key stakeholder meetings and staff meetings to provide update and briefings.
- Undertake literature searches and reviews with relevant health literature databases.
- Develop and undertake research and evaluation proposal plans and methodologies including data collection and verification (data entry into databases, creation of small databases)
- Undertake high level data analysis: frequency analysis, data trending, and etc., using key statistical software programs as required.
- Coordinate and manage projects, research and other initiatives: set up meetings, ensure correspondence and communications with all key project members, financial issues, follow-up with relevant stakeholders and members, etc.
- Set up and initiate meetings for projects and other related matters: set up rooms, teleconferencing details, minute taking, and meeting material preparation
- Identify and engage with key and relevant healthy eating, nutrition, and health promotion policy stakeholders and partners.
- Facilitate multi-disciplinary meetings, groups and committees on health promotion related policy issues.
- Establish sustainable and working relationships with key stakeholders and health partners.
- Build capacity amongst client base in policy development: develop presentations, webinars, and other learning tools on policy development.
- Undertake needs assessment of client and stakeholder base through comprehensive approaches and methods.
- Assist in project coordination and implementation of annual program knowledge exchange and transfer event.
Other duties and responsibilities:
- Attend weekly program staff and monthly organizational staff meetings.
- Assist program manager and other program staff as required.
- Attend and represent program and OPHA at stakeholder engagement meetings, consultations, and events where applicable.
- Participate and engage in strategic and operational planning at the program and organizational levels.
- Provide support on website, newsletter and other program communication responsibilities.
- Answer general client, stakeholder and public enquiries.
- Assist in other duties as required including administration and others that are relevant and appropriate to the role.
- Provide support where needed to advance the objectives and goals of the organization.
- University degree (Masters level, preferably in health and related disciplines) from recognized institution
- Must possess a Registered Dietitian (RD) designation.
- Familiarity in population health (preferred)
- Knowledge and familiarity of Ontario Public Health Standards
- Strong understanding of the public health sector and community agencies in Ontario and Canada, as well as municipal, regional and provincial government (preferred).
- Excellent research and evaluation skills to research public health policy and practice issues (familiarity with key health literature databases, proposal development, data analysis)
- Excellent project management, oral & written communications to respond to issues prepare and present reports, briefing notes and materials and presentations.
- Familiarity in policy development and analysis preferably in health promotion and public health
- Experience in the principles /practices of policy research/development, environmental scanning, trends forecasting, and issues analysis.
- Excellent analytical, interpretive and problem solving skills.
Please submit a cover letter and resume to: [email protected] no later than February 28, 2014. Indicate in the subject line and in the cover letter that you are applying for the “Policy & Program Coordinator.”
Only qualified candidates will be contacted to proceed to an interview stage to be scheduled later. We thank all applicants in advance.
Posting Date: January 28, 2014
Closing Date: Until Position Is Filled