Deadline March 18, 2014
Status: Part Time (0.4 FTE)
Sector: Community – Family Health Team
LHIN: Central West Local Health Integration Network (CW LHIN)
Region: Peel Region
Deadline: March 18, 2014
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible
Queen Square Family Health Team (QSFHT) provides primary health care, including chronic disease management, health promotion and disease prevention, to a rostered population of patients in the city of Brampton and surrounding area. The FHT employs an inter-professional team of health care providers who work in a collaborative model of care.
The FHT is currently seeking a Psychologist to join its growing team of health care professionals. The Psychologist is a key part of the patient care circle and should be comfortable working to their full scope of practice. The Psychologist will function in close collaboration with the physicians and interprofessional providers of the FHT and will assist in the primary care functions of the FHT. The role includes both the provision of direct patient care as well as consulting on the development of programs, resources and linkages.
Examples of duties include – but are not limited to – the following:
- Provides counselling/therapy and other therapeutic functions for individuals, couples, families and the community
- Participates in the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of programs and services
- Provides expertise and knowledge in supporting health promotion, disease prevention, and chronic disease management across a patient’s lifespan
The Psychologist is to practice according to the standards of practice as defined by the College of Psychologists of Ontario and the Regulated Health Professions Act (1991).
The Family Health Team staff will be working on a schedule that equally meets the needs of the patients and physicians and thus evenings and weekends are expected.
The psychologist is ultimately accountable to the Executive Director of the FHT.
- Evaluates, diagnoses, and assesses the functioning of individuals and groups related to mental disorders, as well as wellness and mental health
- Works collaboratively with the social workers to develop, monitor and evaluate the FHT mental health services
- Conducts interventions with individuals and groups
- Provides treatment for serious mental health disorders
- Provides treatment for individual, marital and family relationship problems
- Implements individualized care plans for the patient/family/caregiver based on best practice guidelines
- Provides treatment for addictions and substance use and abuse
- Assists with pain management, stress, anger and other aspects of lifestyle management
- Provides treatment for problems associated with cognitive functioning
- Promotes wellness and disease prevention
- Assists in the management of psychological factors and problems associated with physical conditions and disease (e.g. diabetes, heart disease, stroke)
- Assists in the management of psychological factors in terminal and chronic illnesses such as cancer, brain injury, and degenerative brain diseases
- Provides treatment of problems associated with cognitive functioning such as learning, memory, problem solving, intellectual ability and performance
- Assists in the management of psychological factors related to work such as motivation, leadership, productivity, and healthy workplaces
- Consults with a physician in accordance with the standards for consultation with physicians, and/or refers the patient to another health care professional
- Works collaboratively with other team members to manage the needs of patients
- Shares results of assessment and intervention with referring physicians and other Team clinicians as requested within a specified timeframe
- Facilitates referrals to other services as well as communication and networking between the primary care practice and hospital or home care
- Maintains relationships with networks, related professional organizations and other related service providers
- Offers professional guidance and support to referrers and colleagues
- Participates in the development, planning and evaluation of treatment education, counselling and health promotion programs and activities
- Develops and evaluates educational resources, presentations, workshops, etc.
- Creates and distributes educational material to patients as needed
- Provides in-services/education to clinical team
- Advocates for patient’s civil and legal rights
- Exercises reasonable care and caution in protecting confidential and sensitive information related to clients and personnel
- Actively participates in clinical programs and services (including occasional evenings and weekends requirements)
- Participates in the development, planning, and evaluation of treatment, education, counselling and health promotion activities of the FHT
- Promotes awareness of the FHT services and programs to patients and community residents alike
- Models the values and philosophy of the FHT
- Demonstrates a genuine enthusiasm towards the principles of interprofessional/collaborative models of care
- Provides mentorship and additional skills training for co-workers and students where identified
- Maintains current knowledge of accepted operating policies and procedures
- Collects data as required for statistical/reporting purposes
- Provides timely and informative reports as directed and requested by the Executive Director and/or Physician Lead
- Participates in staff meetings and committees
- Participates in established performance evaluation process and professional development goals
- Develops, updates and maintains education resources
Qualifications, Skills and Experience
- Registration with the College of Psychologists of Ontario as a Psychologist or as a Psychological Associate
- Evidence of professional liability insurance
- Three to five years counselling/therapy experience, preferably in a community setting
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Mental Health Act
- Experience in addictions counselling an asset
- Experience in program development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Superior evaluative, diagnosis and assessment skills of mental health disorders of children and adults
- Strong group education skills
- Experience in the treatment of individual, marital, and family relationship problems
- Excellent problem-solving and conflict resolution skills
- Understanding of community resources
- Flexibility with the ability to adapt to change
- Proven problem-solving, decision-making and time management skills
- Outstanding interpersonal skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Exhibits an ability to be open and non-judgmental
- Ability to work within both a team and solo dynamic
- Knowledge and proficiency in current, evidenced-based methods and practices surrounding mental health
- Proficient in the use of the computer hardware and software
- Prior experience and knowledge of electronic medical records
- Demonstrated understanding of the goals, structures, policies and procedures of the FHT
Queen Square Family Health Team offers a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental benefits. We also offer an attractive and rewarding work environment. Please note that only positions that work over 21 hours per week will be eligible for the benefit package.
Queen Square Family Health Team is an equal opportunity employer. We are situated in a multi-cultural neighborhood and are committed to attracting and retaining a diverse and inclusive workforce who will work together to create & sustain a vibrant, healthy, safe and caring community.
While we thank all applicants, only those under consideration will be contacted for an interview. In Accordance with The Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Queen Square Family Health Team will provide accommodation, accessible formats and communication supports for the interview upon request
Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed resume to the attention of: email@example.com
Please include the following reference in the subject line: Psych-01082013.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Please note any telephone/ email inquiries related to this role won’t be accepted.