Deadline May 29, 2015
With over 50 years’ experience, the Canadian Mental Health Association – Peel Branch (CMHA Peel) has provided services for people with mental illness and educating Canadians about mental health issues.
The 24.7 Crisis Support Peel is the newly launched and integrated crisis intervention service providing support to adults experiencing a mental health or addiction crisis; individuals having difficulties coping; and family, caregivers and friends needing support. Outreach services consists of health care workers paired with police officers responding to individuals and families experiencing crisis in the community.
In support of this important new program, the CMHA-Peel is hiring Crisis Support Workers with experience in mental health and addictions to join this important and pivotal initiative.
Crisis Support Workers (Registered Nurses, Social Workers, Occupational Therapists)
As a key member of the Crisis Support Team, you will triage calls on the crisis line and provide support and develop a plan for intervention. Crisis Support Workers will be responsible for providing crisis intervention, support, assessment and assistance for developing follow-up plans to clients in the community who are in crisis.
Responsibilities will include: providing immediate response on the crisis line and determining initial triage; providing support and follow-up post crisis, either with ongoing support or connecting clients with appropriate agencies; completing mental health assessment for clients in crisis, utilizing a variety of assessment tools; partnering with a police officer in completing mobile crisis intervention; developing relationships and partnerships with hospitals, law enforcement agencies, mental health and social services agencies to build an effective delivery of crisis service in the community; assisting in identifying and developing goals towards understanding prevention, treatment and rehabilitation; and working effectively and collaboratively with internal and external program teams to the CMHA-Peel.
- Must be a Regulated Health Professional in good standing with their regulatory body, including Registered Nurses (RNs), Social Workers, and Occupational Therapists (OTs).
- Relevant experience working in acute mental health sector, preferably in the community.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with crisis intervention techniques, risk assessments, suicide prevention, and the ability to intervene effectively in clinical situations.
- Ability to work collaboratively within a multidisciplinary team and other agencies in the community, including working with police, court system, inpatient and outpatient mental health systems.
- Ability to work 12-hour shifts, including nights, weekends and public holidays on a scheduled rotation.
- Valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle.
- A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening report and extensive background check will be required.
Salary range: $64,000-$74,000 per annum
CMHA-Peel provides a supportive work environment with a competitive salary, plenty of training opportunities, excellent benefits and an emphasis on work-life balance. For more information, please visit CMHA’s Careers page for list of their Total Rewards.
CMHA-Peel is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
CMHA-Peel will make every effort to accommodate any needs of candidates through the hiring process, under the Human Rights Code. Please inform us if you require any accommodation through the hiring process.