Deadline May 6, 2016
To improve the health and well being of Aboriginal People in spirit, mind, emotion and body by providing Traditional Healing within an intra-disciplinary health care model. (Anishnawbe Health Toronto’s Mission Statement)
Full Time Continuing Position
As a fully accredited community health centre, Anishnawbe Health Toronto (AHT) offers access to health care practitioners from many disciplines including Traditional Healers, Elders and Medicine People. Its model of health care is based on Traditional practices and approaches, which are reflected in the design of its programs and services.
AHT requires a Primary Health Care Physician with strong clinical skills who will function as an effective member of our multi- disciplinary team. Reporting to the Manager, Waash-keshuu-Yaan Unit, the successful candidate will have an opportunity to work with Aboriginal populations, providing primary health care.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Current registration with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- Member of the College of Family Physicians Canada (CFPC)
- Member of The Canadian Medical Protective Association
- Degree in medicine from a recognized university
- Thorough current primary health care physician knowledge and proficiency
- Demonstrated commitment to and knowledge of community-based health care and health promotion concepts
- An openness to working with people who are homeless, living with mental illness, using drugs and/or experiencing complex health needs, from a harm reduction perspective
- Knowledge and appreciation of societal issues and underlying health problems in the Aboriginal community, such as the intergenerational effects of the post-colonial and residential school experiences
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, decision making, conflict management, organizational and administrative skills that include computer literacy
- Ability to provide compassionate respectful, non-judgmental and culturally competent care
- Knowledge of Aboriginal language and culture is an asset
- Previous training in cultural safety and anti-oppressive practice is an asset
A police clearance letter completed within the past twelve months will be required prior to commencing employment
How to Apply: Interested applicants are invited to submit cover letters and resumes by email to [email protected] in a single document, with their name and “Physician Position” in the subject line, or by fax to: 416-920-8876
Closing Date: May 6, 2016 by 5:00 pm
Anishnawbe Health Toronto offers a competitive salary, a comprehensive benefits package, a commitment to your professional development and a supportive workplace environment.
Anishnawbe Health Toronto is committed to diversity and values the contribution of its employees from diverse backgrounds and experiences. We welcome applications from Aboriginal persons, visible minority group members, women, persons with disabilities, members of sexual minority groups, and others who contribute to greater diversity of perspectives.
(If you are invited for an interview and require accommodation, please let us know.)
Meegwetch to all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.