Deadline May 11, 2016
Title: Registered Practical Nurse-Foot Care*
Reports to: Manager, Primary Health Care
Position Type: Casual, ongoing
Special Note: This position has casual RPN clinical duties, as scheduled
Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary: $21.25 - $22.26/hour
Internal/External Posting: FOOT-2016
Posting Date: Tuesday, April 26, 2016
Closing Date: Wednesday, May 11, 2016
Working as part of an interdisciplinary team to support overall health and wellness of clients, the RPN-Foot Care delivers professional essential and diabetic foot care services. They assist with screening and educating patients and groups, including the co-facilitation of the Diabetic Living Well program.
*This position description is currently under review to incorporate core competencies. Final position description will be provided to the successful candidate when available.
Key Responsibility: Foot Care
- Provide essential and diabetic foot care to clients on an ongoing basis
- Work with client to establish plan of care
- Coordinate and provide referrals for footwear/insole needs with Pedorthist, as required
- Work closely with other providers to provide input and recommendations in client care conferences; report any concerns to client’s physician, NP or other provider
- Ensure follow-up treatment based on needs of individual client in accordance with best practices and infection control policies
- Properly handle, clean and prepare foot care instruments in decontamination room in accordance with infection control practices
Key Responsibility: Education/Outreach
- Provide education and health promotion to clients regarding foot care, footwear, and general maintenance of healthy feet; provide information to client’s family as required
- Co-facilitate, with the Diabetic Educator, the foot care module of the Diabetic Living Well program
- Participate in organizational committees involving areas of expertise
Key Responsibility: Clinical
- Provide primary health care to clients of the centre as guided by the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Provide telephone triage and client follow-up as needed
- Provide basic laboratory and phlebotomy procedures and treatment services (e.g., urine tests, glucometer readings, dressings, injections, immunizations, allergy treatments, etc.)
- Provide client screening and health education within scope of practice
- Order and maintain medical supplies, laboratory supplies and immunizations
Key Responsibility: Administrative Duties
- Receive and track referrals from staff and self-referrals from clients; maintain schedule and wait list
- Contribute to chart documentation (including Electronic Health Records), by documenting symptoms and conditions, nursing interventions and referrals and recommendations for ongoing treatment
- Participate in chart reviews and case conferences
- Maintain foot care supply database and order relevant supplies and equipment as required
- Complies with all relevant legislation and KCHC policies, including privacy laws
- Supports consistent application and development of KCHC policies and procedures
- Supports KCHC’s student and volunteer placement programs
- Promotes awareness of and participation in KCHC activities
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and quality improvement
Basic Education and Experience Requirements
- Registered Practical Nurse, in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Completion of the Basic & Advance Foot Care Course certification
- Two years clinical foot care practice
- Knowledge and skills for proper storage and transfer methods of autoclaved packaged tools in decontamination room
- Organizational Competencies: Accountability, Client Focus, Collaboration, Continuous Learning
- Position Competencies: Initiative, Knowledge/professional/technical expertise, Teamwork
- Proficiency in the use of computers and relevant software applications (Nightingale On Demand)
- Ability to work flexible hours and occasional evenings
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position
- Current certificate in CPR
- Current and satisfactory Criminal and Vulnerable Persons Check
- French language is an asset
Please include a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experiences correspond with the specific job qualifications along with your resume.
Save all documents as a single file using your own name (Last, First). A PDF format is preferred.
Email to email@example.com citing reference “FOOT-2016” in the subject line.
Applications must be received by the Human Resources Manager by 4:00 pm, Wednesday May 11, 2016.
As a registered professional, to abide by and be accountable to the ethics and standards set out by the relevant regulatory body of the profession.
All KCHC staff have a duty to understand and follow KCHC policies, uphold high ethical and professional standards, and maintain confidentiality and privacy, using tact and good judgment in all dealings with other staff and clients.
KCHC is an equal opportunity employer, respecting and embracing the needs and diversity of our employees. If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify Human Resources.
Kingston Community Health Centres, 263 Weller Ave. Kingston ON, K7K 2V4