Deadline May 25, 2016
Green Communities Canada (Canada Walks) seeks an experienced manager to ensure the successful completion of our current active school travel projects, and to secure new opportunities and revenues.
This is a three-day/week position, with potential to grow to full time and increased responsibilities as resources permit. Salary is commensurate with experience.
The Senior Program Manager, Active & Safe Routes to School reports to the Executive Director.
Location is flexible, but the Senior Program Manager must meet from time to time in South Central Ontario with program staff, consultants, funders, and partners, as well as Green Communities Canada staff in the Peterborough office. Home office preferred.
Preferred start date: 27 June 2016.
Green Communities Canada, a dynamic national non-profit, has been a leader for 20 years in promoting active modes of transportation for the daily trip to school through innovative programs such as the Walking School Bus and Walking Wednesdays. Our School Travel Planning initiative engages school and community partners in systematically addressing barriers and incentives to active school travel. See http://www.saferoutestoschool.ca for details.
Active & Safe Routes to School is a program within the Canada Walks department of Green Communities Canada, which also includes exciting initiatives to increase walking by improving community walkability. (See http://www.canadawalks.ca and http://www.walkfriendly.ca.)
What you will do:
- undertake strategic planning for the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area and manage our active school travel projects, including school travel planning for the Eglinton Crosstown project; a cycling skills project at 7 Toronto schools;
- work with the GCC senior management team and program staff to identify strategic opportunities, prepare proposals, and develop new partnerships;
- prepare financial and progress reports for funders/partners;
- lead budgeting, expense allocation, and preparation of progress and financial reports for management and the board of directors;
- maintain a close working relationship with our Ottawa Active & Safe Routes to School manager and program;
- manage delivery of school travel planning training to local communities through fee-for-service contracts;
- ensure program resources and website are kept current, and contribute material to the monthly Canada Walks news and social media;
- promote the organization and its activities through networking, partner liaison, conferences, webinars, etc.
Qualities and skills we’re looking for:
- proven ability to lead and manage teams of staff and consultants, budgets, reporting, and timely delivery of great results
- superior communications, both written and oral, including report- and proposal-writing, public speaking, networking, partner relations, newsletters and social media
- passion about walking and active transportation
- ambition, energy, and an enterprising spirit
- a positive and collaborative team approach
- a high level of self-direction, combined with a readiness to seek support when needed
- bilingualism (English-French) would be considered an asset
Please send a cover letter and resume by 5 p.m. 25 May 2016 to email@example.com. While we thank all applicants for their interest in this position, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.