Deadline June 17, 2016
Who we are
Community Food Centres Canada (CFCC) provides ideas, resources and a proven approach to partner organizations across Canada to create Community Food Centres that bring people together to grow, cook, share, and advocate for good food. CFCC also works with the broader food movement to build greater capacity for impact and to empower communities to work toward a healthy and fair food system. CFCC is a flexible, collaborative and dynamic workplace.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for a passionate and experienced organizer who is fired up by inequality and driven to work to change the systems that lead people to be trapped in food insecurity and poverty. The Campaigner will work with the community action staff and peer advocates at our partner Community Food Centres in seven communities (and growing!) across the country to be a resource for their programs (e.g. to formalize training resources, organize training opportunities, carry out research on issues of interest). They will also play a role in supporting community action and civic engagement initiatives at our 90 Good Food Organizations. The Campaigner will be a conduit to existing advocacy initiatives and work to assess the need for and develop new initiatives where opportunities arise to contribute to change in the areas of food, poverty, or health policies. The successful candidate will have a dual passion for empowering people at the grassroots and contributing to the big picture policy conversations that create community realities. This is a one-year contract, with a possibility of renewal.
- Working with Community Action coordinators at Community Food Centres to identify and support their training needs;
- Developing resources that capture local experiences and practices that can be used by CFCs, Good Food Organizations or other interested organizations;
- Connecting with a range of advocacy initiatives in the area of food, health and poverty policy in order to understand and share ways to support these initiatives;
- Assessing the policy environment and partner interest to develop campaigns that are both strategic in their goals and empowering to the community members who are involved in pursuing them;
- Working with CFCC staff and other stakeholders to develop a campaign strategy and media and communications goals to support it.
- Relevant post-secondary degree or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- 5+ years of related work experience;
- Experience working to advance social justice causes, ideally in areas related to food insecurity, poverty or health;
- Experience working to inspire and empower people to take action, through both leadership and collaboration;
- Demonstrated understanding of relevant polices and actors in a related issue area and experience moving an issue within that environment;
- Demonstrated creativity and clarity in creating engagement strategies and communications tools that inspire action and get results;
- Strong research, writing and presentation skills;
- Experience with knowledge sharing using a broad range of platforms and tools.
Position details: Full-time, 37.5 hours per week
Salary: commensurate with experience
Please email your cover letter and resume in a single document to email@example.com with “Campaigner” in the subject line by June 17, 2016 at 5 p.m.
CFCC is committed to employment equity and encourages applicants from equity seeking groups. Only those applicants being considered will be contacted. Thank you for your interest in CFCC.
View this posting online at http://cfccanada.ca/campaigner-cfcc-toronto.