Deadline July 22, 2016
3 Registered Practical Nurses
Full-Time, Contract (up to 6 months) (ONA 08)
Overall Job Responsibility:
Reporting to the Program Manager, the Registered Practical Nurse (RPN) works with individuals, families, groups and the community according to the vaccine preventable diseases program specific plans in accordance with the Ontario Public Health Standards (OPHS), policies and procedures of the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit, the Canadian Community Health Nursing Standards of Practice, and the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO).
This position supports the on-going operations of the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit.
The successful candidate must work in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and all policies and procedures of the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit.
Key Areas of Responsibility:
All competencies are based on the core functions of public health: population health assessment; health surveillance; disease and injury prevention; health promotion and health protection.
This list of duties is not all-inclusive and may be modified as public health programs change and as health unit need requires. Specific duties include:
- Carry out RPN nursing functions according to standards set forth by the Nursing Act, 1991, College of Nurses of Ontario, the Canadian Community Health Nursing Standards, 2003, the Ontario Public Health Standards, 2008 and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Promote the health of individuals and families through informing, educating, counseling, and appropriate intervention. Assess clients presenting for immunization for contraindications and current health status.
- Delivery of immunizations in the clinic and school based program and as required in the influenza program.
- Organize clinic supplies working with the PHN to implement off-site immunization clinics.
- Maintain an inventory of clinic supplies and vaccines for designated programs; compile orders for manager’s approval and order vaccines as needed. Ensure all vaccines are maintained in cold chain.
- Maintain accurate and appropriate documentation of individual and family interventions including documentation in the Panorama system.
- Maintain accurate statistics as required.
- Maintain professional competence by participating in relevant professional development opportunities as applicable to the Vaccine Preventable Diseases department.
- Perform other related duties as assigned
Education, training, & experience
- Diploma in Practical Nursing from an accredited Ontario college
- Registered with the College of Nurses of Ontario as a Registered Practical Nurse
- Proficiency with current computer applications (Examples: Microsoft Office-Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Internet; E-mail)
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within an interdisciplinary team
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize workloads
- Immunizations and TB screening as per WECHU policies
- Satisfactory vulnerable persons police information search
- CPR/PAD current certification
- Some evening and weekend work may be necessary
- A valid Ontario Driver’s Licence, access to a reliable motor vehicle during working hours, and 2 million dollars in liability insurance
The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the Windsor-Essex County Health Unit will provide accommodations to applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources staff of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require.
Qualified applicants are invited to submit a résumé in confidence by email to [email protected] with Reference #58, Attention: Dan Sibley, Manager, Human Resources by 4:30 p.m. on Friday July 22, 2016.
The Windsor-Essex County Health Unit thanks all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.