Deadline August 29, 2016
CultureLink is seeking to recruit a consultant (individual or team), to carry out a project entitled “Active School Travel and the Ontario Curriculum”. The purpose of the project is to create reference materials and sample lesson plans for Ontario teachers, to support them in promoting and facilitating an increase in active transportation (walking, cycling, etc.) by students. CultureLink works within an anti-oppression framework and is committed to equity.
- Consultation with interested participants in the Active and Sustainable School Travel Regional Hub, including three meetings (face-to-face or by telephone)
- Collation of resources available for teachers, related to active transportation (existing curriculum, lesson plans, websites, etc.)
- A scan of the existing Ontario curriculum for elementary and secondary school, and the EcoSchools Certification Guide, and identification of opportunities for teachers to incorporate material related to active and sustainable transportation
- Development of three teaching units consisting of three lesson plans each, two for elementary level and one for secondary
- A slide deck introducing the material to interested teachers and others in the education sector
- Experience as an elementary or secondary school teacher, or equivalent exposure to the Ontario curriculum
- Experience in curriculum development and creating lesson plans
- Familiarity with strategies for applying an anti-oppression framework in classroom teaching and extracurricular activities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proven ability to engage with professionals in various disciplines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and online file-sharing applications (eg. Dropbox Google Docs)
- Teaching experience in Physical and Health Education, Geography, Mathematics or Physics
- Familiarity with resources and tools that support Active School Travel
- Track record of engagement with cycling and/or pedestrian advocacy
- Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Screening (police check - original copy within the past 6 months) or up-to-date police check status with Toronto District School Board
Compensation for the entire contract is $7,500 plus HST (if applicable). Target completion date is December 31, 2016.
If you are interested in this position, please submit a brief cover letter and resume to Assistant Manager, Sustainable Communities:
CultureLink Settlement and Community Services 2340 Dundas St. West. Suite 301
Toronto, Ontario M6P 4A9 E-mail: [email protected].ca
Deadline to apply is Monday August 29, 2016, 5pm.