Kingston and Napanee, Ontario
Deadline October 26, 2016
Reports to: Manager, Regional Programs
Locations: Kingston (Weller Avenue location) and Napanee
Position Type: Casual, Ongoing
Start Date: Early November 2016
Salary: $21.25 - $25.60 per hour
Working with an interdisciplinary team, the dental assistant delivers dental health education, oral hygiene instruction, assists at screening and clinics, as well as coordinates client bookings and manages the clinic schedule. The dental assistant is also responsible for processing billing payments, regularly tracking clinic data and assisting with reporting requirements.
This practice will focus on providing oral health services to people receiving Ontario Works (“OW”) and Ontario Disability Support (“ODSP”), low income individuals and families.
*This position description is currently under review to incorporate core competencies. Final position description will be provided to the successful candidate when available.
- Detailed Responsibilities
- Sets up operatory, organizes instruments and dental materials needed for dental procedures and ensures equipment is in working order
- Provides preventative intra-oral hygiene services under direction of Clinical Dentist
- Prepares and cleans examination room, and sterilizes instruments prior to each appointment
- Taking radiographs, processing and mounting radiographs for clinic dentist
- Positions clients in the examination room, explains dental procedures, provides support, and dismisses clients at appropriate time
- Collects eligibility information from walk-in clients to determine their need
- Facilitates access to treatment by scheduling appointments and arranging transportation
- Records information for dental screening and Dental Indices Survey and assists with follow-up procedures
- Develops and maintains resources and teaching materials
- Participates in the efficient operation of programs through support functions including keeping track of inventory and supplies and placing orders as needed within budget; booking clients and managing the schedule; reception duties
- Provides administrative and clerical support for the dental clinic
- Creates, maintains, and retrieves client records and ensures confidentiality
- Ensures files are securely stored in clinic area
- Regularly tracks information and data needed for reporting purposes. Compiles statistics and data and helps prepare quarterly reports and program information and updates as needed
- Responsible for processing billing payments
- Assists with program promotion
- Plans, develops and provides dental health education to community agencies and the community at large
- Organizes and participates in selected community events, such as Dental Health Month and school health fairs
- Work as part of the dental care team to develop and implement client/patient care plan including collecting and analyzing information
- Complies with all relevant legislation and KCHC policies, including privacy laws
- Supports consistent application and development of KCHC policies and procedures
- Supports KCHC’s student and volunteer placement programs
- Promotes awareness of and participation in KCHC activities
- Demonstrated commitment to continuous learning and quality improvement
- Basic Education and Experience Requirements
- Dental assistant certificate from a recognized educational institution
- Certified Dental Assistant Level II designation preferred
- H.A.R.P. Certified
- Minimum of three years’ experience as dental assistant
- Previous experience in community dentistry considered an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multi-disciplinary setting
- Must possess the following traits/skills: patience, empathy, and observation skills in order to work with children, youth and adults; sensitivity to the needs of the designated target population and the care they require
- Ability to work with computer databases and electronic mail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and above average attention to detail
- Ability to meet the physical demands of the position
- Excellent interpersonal skills, and a commitment to being a “team player”
- Organizational Competencies: Accountability, Client Focus, Collaboration, Continuous Learning Position Competencies: Attention to detail, Communication, Initiative, Teamwork, Time management
- This position has shifts at multiple locations, reliable transportation required
- Current and satisfactory Criminal and Vulnerable Persons Check
- French language is an asset
Please include a cover letter clearly outlining how your skills and experiences correspond with the specific job qualifications along with your resume.
Save all documents as a single file using your own name (Last, First). A PDF format is preferred.
Email to email@example.com citing reference “DENT-2016b” in the subject line.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Applications must be received by the Human Resources Manager by 4:00 pm, Wednesday, October 26, 2016 to be included in this competition.
All KCHC staff have a duty to understand and follow KCHC policies, uphold high ethical and professional standards, and maintain confidentiality and privacy, using tact and good judgment in all dealings with other staff and clients.
KCHC is an equal opportunity employer, respecting and embracing the needs and diversity of our employees. If you require an accommodation to fully participate in the hiring process, please notify Human Resources.
Kingston Community Health Centres, 263 Weller Ave. Kingston ON, K7K 2V4 http://www.KCHC.ca