Deadline April 25, 2017
Internal/External Job Posting: Seniors’ Group Fitness Instructor
Permanent Part-Time: 7 hrs per week
Posting Number: 2017-004
Davenport-Perth Neighbourhood and Community Health Centre (DPNCHC) is a multi-service community agency committed to furthering community development/capacity building and health promotion activities for all ages. A United Way Agency, the Centre specializes in programs ranging from early years to youth, isolated adults, health and seniors. The Seniors’ Group Fitness Instructor will plan, develop, implement, promote and assess group exercise classes at seniors’ residences and community agencies in Toronto. They will work with DPNCHC staff, residence staff and other community-based agencies to collectively address seniors’ fitness issues in order to improve the independence, safety awareness, and health and well-being of seniors, through fun, physical activity – within the context of DPNCHC’s philosophy, mission statement and approach to service delivery. This program is funded by the Ontario Ministry of Health through the Toronto Central Local Health Integration Network Falls Prevention Initiative.
- Teach group fitness classes to seniors 65+, in seniors’ residences and community agencies in Toronto.
- Work cooperatively with DPNCHC staff, residence staff and community-based agencies related to our seniors’ fitness classes;
- Plan, develop, and implement progressive fitness classes;
- Individual fitness assessments of participants at start-up and once yearly;
- Collect attendance, participant information (forms) and maintain statistics, assessment data and incident reports;
- Assist the Seniors’ Fitness Supervisor with outreach, when needed;
- Ensure timely preparation of information, statistics and timesheets for the Seniors’ Fitness Supervisor;
- Provide information and referrals regarding senior’s fitness, when appropriate.
- Seniors Group Fitness Instructor training with the Canadian Centre for Activity & Aging (CCAA) or CanFitPro is a requirement;
- 1.5 years minimum experience providing group fitness classes to culturally diverse seniors who are marginalized/isolated and require fitness support is required;
- Current CPR and First Aid certificates;
- Demonstrated group facilitation skills;
- Excellent fluency in English – verbal and written language;
- Basic computer literacy (WORD, Excel, and email);
- A valid driver’s license and use of a vehicle is required for this position;
- Fluency in a second language is an asset;
- Knowledge of services and community organizations for seniors is an asset.
Start Date: Immediately. A total of 7 hours of work per week.
Salary range: $20.458-$22.319 per hour plus statutory benefits. This position is part of the bargaining unit.
Submit resume and cover letter to: Posting No. 2017-004 at email@example.com or mail to 1900 Davenport Rd, Toronto, ON M6N 1B7.
Due Dates: Internal: 5:00 pm, April 18, 2017
External: 5:00 pm, April 25, 2017.
Davenport-Perth Neighbourhood and Community Health Centre encourages applications from candidates, whose background is diverse in terms of culture, race, language, religion, class and gender /sexual orientation. Reasonable accommodation or any other special needs will be provided in all parts of the hiring process. If you require any accommodation, please advise Human Resources. As a condition of employment, all prospective employees will be required to undertake a Vulnerable Sector Screening with Police Services. Only applicants selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. DPNCHC is a perfume free environment.