Brockville or Smiths Falls, Ontario
Deadline September 6, 2017
Date: August 17, 2017
Position:Full-time (1.0 FTE), Permanent status, Health Promotion Consultant – Healthy Environments position with the Department of Healthy Living and Development.
Location: Brockville or Smiths Falls office.
The Consultant will work with internal and municipal and community partners, to promote the development of healthy natural and built environments that support health (2017 Ontario Public Health Program and Services Standards). From a systems perspective, the Consultant will lead the development of health promotion strategies, with a focus on policy development. The Consultant will also facilitate community mobilization and build community capacity to support and advocate for healthy natural and built environments.
This position reports to the Manager, Healthy Living and Development Department (E. Murkin).
- Master’s degree in Health Promotion or Public Health; undergraduate degree in Health Sciences, Health Promotion preferred.
- Minimum of two years’ experience with proficiency in community health promotion strategies including community mobilization, interagency collaboration in a mixed urban/rural setting, policy development, coalition building, advocacy, communication, program planning and evaluation
- Advanced knowledge of the impact of the natural and built environment on health, healthy living and health problems, and effective strategies to enhance the natural and built environment.
- Advanced knowledge of population health and social determinants of health.
- Demonstrated ability to lead situational needs assessments and to plan, implement and evaluate community health promotion programs/strategies/activities.
- Advanced ability to utilize current theories and best practices to develop effective community-based health promotion strategies.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically from a systems perspective.
- Demonstrated ability to lead effectively by: leading initiatives, motivating others, creating learning opportunities for others and improving organizational effectiveness.
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results by: understanding and using informal structures and networks, and actively seeking input or participation from partners in the community.
- Experience in project management, program and policy research and analysis, planning and advocacy
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and public relations skills, with capacity to relate to clients/stakeholders of different ages and different needs
- Demonstrated initiative, self-direction and good decision making skills
- Ability to adapt to new, different, or changing requirements
- Strong time management and organizational skills; able to deal with many competing demands in a calm, professional and independent manner
- Solid problem-solving abilities; ability to set priorities and manage conflicting demands
- Careful attention to detail
- Knowledge and proficiency in use of the Internet and various computer programs in a Windows environment
- Knowledge of and ability to utilize social media
Hourly Range: $66,429 to $77,937 plus a comprehensive benefits package.
Start Date: As soon as possible.
Apply by: September 6, 2017 at 4:30 p.m. Please submit a current resume and a cover letter indicating in detail how the required qualifications are met.
E-mail to [email protected].
Accommodations for job applicants with disabilities are available on request.
We thank all applicants for their interest in employment with our agency; please note that we will only contact candidates selected for an interview.