Deadline August 28, 2017
Advisement # 17-54 (Non-Union)
Position: Program Manager - Full-time permanent
Division: Health Promotion
Location: Sudbury Office
Salary: $84,666.40 – $96,787.60/year
The Sudbury & District Health Unit (SDHU) is a progressive public health agency committed to improving health and reducing social inequities in health through evidence-informed practice. We are an enriched public health practice environment, fostering research, ongoing education, and the development of innovative programs and services.
The SDHU has a staff of over 250 who deliver provincially legislated public health programs and services through the head office in Greater Sudbury and five offices throughout the city and the districts of Sudbury and Manitoulin. The SDHU is governed by an autonomous Board of Health and has strong community and inter-agency partnerships.
Reporting to the Director, the Program Manager will contribute to excellence in public health practice by promoting the development and integration of practice, education and research in accordance with Health Unit policy. This leadership role may include that of program manager, administrator, practice expert, researcher, educator, mentor, and evaluator.
This position is responsible for management of assigned personnel, programs, research and evaluation projects, and for assisting the Director in overall divisional administration. As a member of the management team, the Program Manager promotes cooperative planning and decision making with other teams and divisions.
- Manages assigned personnel, programs, and research and evaluation projects.
- Provides leadership and innovation in the development, implementation, and evaluation of assigned programs.
- Ensures that programs address local needs and are delivered in compliance with the Ontario Public Health Standards, the Health Unit’s Strategic Plan, and its Social Inequities in Health vision.
- Promotes cooperative planning and decision making with other teams and divisions.
- Participates on Health Unit committees.
- Advises and contributes to the development of effective management of program policies, procedures, and processes.
- Participates on external committees and cooperates, collaborates, and networks with external partners in the interdisciplinary planning and implementation of assignments and programs.
- Assists the Director in overall divisional administration.
Experience and Education:
- Knowledge and abilities in the areas of human resources, labour relations, team building, policy development, financial management, as well as quality and risk management.
- Ability to set priorities, manage multiple initiatives, and work independently and collaboratively.
- Knowledge of and demonstrated abilities in the areas of comprehensive school heath promotion, including chronic disease, injury prevention, healthy growth and development, as well as community development and engagement, resiliency and emotional learning strategies, social determinants of health and health equity, public health science, and program planning, research and evaluation.
- Knowledge and understanding of pertinent federal, provincial, and municipal legislation, regulations, and guidelines that have implications for public health.
- Demonstrated computer skills.
- Strong public health background is an asset.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in public health or relevant setting combined with progressive supervisory and administrative responsibility.
- Experience in community partnerships, education, and applied community health research, including program planning and evaluation.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
- Advanced oral and written proficiency in English and in French is an asset.
- Recognized bachelor’s degree in nursing, health promotion, or related field. A master’s degree is also considered an asset. A combination of education and experience will be considered.
Resumés will be accepted until Monday, August 28, 2017 at 4:30 p.m. and should be sent in confidence to:
Sara Polano-Newell, Human Resources Officer, Corporate Services Division
Sudbury & District Health Unit
1300 Paris Street, Sudbury, ON P3E 3A3
Email: mailto:[email protected] (Microsoft Word format only)
Tel: 705.522.9200, ext. 327 Fax: 705.522.5182
Please include the title of the position in the subject line.
Learn more about interviews, collection of information, and accommodation: https://www.sdhu.com/join-us#interviews.