Deadline November 5, 2017
2 positions available
The Middlesex-London Health Unit (MLHU) has two exciting opportunities to work in the Environmental Health and Infectious Diseases division. MLHU is looking for:
A part-time Public Health Inspector, to work on the Infectious Disease Control (IDC) team and,
A full-time Public Health Inspector, to work on the Food Safety and Healthy Environments (FS&HE) team.
- Deliver comprehensive programs in the community including:
- FS&HE program work which may include food premises inspections, special event inspections, health hazard investigations, environmental assessments, housing inspections and various other special projects as part of the FS&HE team; or
- IDC program work which may include personal services settings inspections and outbreak management work as part of the IDC team;
- Apply expertise in the areas of prevention, enforcement, promotion, protection, education, and research;
- Protect individual and community wellness through application of a variety of professional and technical skills in health protection, health promotion, and law enforcement activities;
- Provide coverage and client service through participation in office duty work, evening shift coverage and on-call weekends; and,
- Participate in other duties as assigned.
- A four-year Bachelor of Applied Science Degree in Environmental Health.
- Certification as a Public Health Inspector by the Canadian Institute of Public Health Inspectors CIPHI(C);
- Working knowledge of Provincial Legislation concerning Public Health and the Ontario Public Health Standards, Protocols and Guidelines.
- Valid Ontario Driver's Licence and access to reliable transportation.
- Intermediate to advanced user of MS Office and database software (Hedgehog), and strong documentation skills.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to influence and de-escalate complex and/or challenging situations in a calm and professional manner.
- Previous experience in Infectious Disease or Food Safety program work, health promotion and enforcement of legislation is a strong asset.
- The ability to communicate (oral and written) in French and/or any other language(s) is highly desirable.
Please see http://www.healthunit.com for further information about our programs and services.
To apply to this position, please submit all applications electronically via our Career Opportunities page at http://www.healthunit.com by November 5, 2017 quoting posting # EHIDPHI-1017-02. Please indicate your preference of position in your cover letter.
Information concerning applicants is collected under the authority of the Health Protection & Promotion Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. H-7, as amended, and will be used to consider suitability for employment. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. The Health Unit is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Accommodations are available, upon request, to support potential applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. Should you require accommodation, please contact our Human Resources Department at 519-663-5317, extension 2512 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Mission of the Middlesex-London Health Unit is to promote and protect the health of our community.