[Ed: location and deadline updated November 9]
Deadline November 17, 2017
Reports To: Manager, Smoking Cessation
Location: Toronto, On
Status: Contract, Full-Time
Provides counselling and support to clients (telephone, online and text-to-chat) and carries out assigned projects for Smokers’ Helpline.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provides counselling, in a supportive manner, to people in the process of quitting smoking utilizing a customized application software to support telephone-based service delivery.
- Provides current information and resources to smokers, their families, the general public, health care professionals and members of community organizations.
- Provides referral suggestions for individuals who require other information or community resources regarding smoking
- Moderates an online discussion forum
- Provides information and support to clients via text-to-chat platform
- Follows established protocols for service delivery and data entry
- Provides support and back up to other members of the team
- Engages in ongoing learning and skill development
- Other projects/duties as assigned
- Works in compliance with The Occupational Health & Safety Act and its regulations
- Reviews and complies with the Health and Safety Policy
Qualifications, Skills And Experience:
- Post-secondary education in a health or social services area and/or a combination of two to three years education and experience in a similar position
- Strong counseling skills and knowledge of behaviour change theory with regard to tobacco
- Experience working with diverse and complex client groups, including clients with mental health conditions and chronic disease
- Excellent telephone and customer service skills
- High level of computer skills, experience working with databases and keyboarding skills
- Team player with excellent interpersonal skills
- Fluency in French considered an asset
- A Criminal Records Check is required
- Knowledge of Canadian Cancer Society policies and procedures would be an asset
- Works within a call centre environment with noise, distractions and interruptions
- Responds to inquiries from the general public (in person, on phone or via e-mail)
- Periods of high call volume
- Multiple priorities and interaction with a diverse client group, including mental health clients
- Works with confidential issues and data
- Multiple reporting relationships (reports to direct and indirect supervisor)
- Regular evening and weekend work
- Flexibility to moderate online program and/or provide support via text-to-chat remotely outside of regular business hours
- Flexibility to work additional hours as required to meet service needs
- Sits for extended periods
- Significant computer use
- Requires high degree of focus and concentration
- Increased level of stress during high call volume periods and when handling challenging calls
Please note that in keeping with the mandate of the Canadian Cancer Society to model and promote healthy lifestyles, employees are not permitted to smoke in or about Society premises or while carrying out CCS business.
What We Offer:
CCS offers meaningful opportunities to make an impact in the fight against cancer. We are committed to fostering a culture that is inspiring, supportive and exemplifies our core values:
Caring Courage Integrity Progressive
In return for your skills and dedication, we offer an attractive compensation package that encompasses a competitive salary, excellent benefits and the opportunity to have a rewarding employment experience where your contributions can make a true difference every day.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume, cover letter and salary expectations by November 10, 2017.
Click Here to Apply: http://www.cancer.ca/en/about-us/careers/current-opportunities/?region=o....
We thank all candidates for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The Canadian Cancer Society is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified candidates. CCS will make available reasonable accommodations for people with disabilities upon request.