Deadline January 31, 2018
Job ID J0118-0781
Organization: York Region
Job Title: Epidemiologist - Built Environment
Job Type: Temporary Full-Time
Location: Newmarket, Ontario, Canada
Epidemiologist - Built Environment
Progressive. Collaborative. Accountable. Draw on your passion. Shape our community. Progressive and collaborative, with a clear, long-term vision. We value employees’ contributions and inspire excellence. We are driven by a desire to help shape and serve the growing community in which we live and work.
Reporting to the Manager, Healthy Living Division, is responsible for carrying out a broad and complex range of investigative epidemiologic activities related to the surveillance, detection, and prevention of diseases; contributing to applied public health research; conducting statistical analyses; to identify trends in health, risk and behavioural outcomes used in the planning of health programs for the prevention and control of chronic diseases, injury and substance misuse, built environment; and providing epidemiology consulting services to assigned program areas in the Public Health Branch.
Salary: $50.52 - $54.92 per hour. This is a Union position.
- Successful completion of a Masters Degree in Epidemiology (e.g. MHSc, MSc or MPH).
- Minimum two (2) years’ experience as an Epidemiologist or equivalent experience in a related Public Health setting.
- Demonstrated experience with the use of public health indicators.
- Demonstrated experience with various software applications including statistical and epidemiological packages such as IBM SPSS, Stata, FluidSurveys, and MS Office software applications.
- Knowledge of RRFSS, CCHS, OSDUHS, Census, intelliHEALTH ONTARIO, BORN Ontario, Seer*Stat and other emerging survey tools and database sources.
- In-depth knowledge of current issues and practices related to epidemiology, public health and health determinants and outcomes.
- Demonstrated ability to independently plan and conduct an analysis of a large dataset
- Good judgement and ability to make sound epidemiological decisions
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Knowledge of and demonstrated ability in corporate core competencies including customer service, communication, team work, initiative/self-management, accountability, flexibility and adaptability.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills and well-developed presentation skills.
- Ability to summarize complex data into useful, understandable, user-friendly explanations and formats for management and staff.
- Ability to travel to off-site locations in a timely and efficient manner, as required.
- Ability to work outside regular business hours, as required.
Scheduled Hours: 35
Scheduled Shifts: 0830 - 1630
How to Apply
Please apply on-line by January 31, 2018, quoting competition #21875. We thank all candidates for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted via email or by telephone.
To apply click on the link below: