Deadline February 26, 2018
Name of Project: Healthy Kids Assessment of Community Active Play Environments
RFP Issue Date: February 7, 2018
Proposal Submission Deadline: February 26, 2018 by 4:30 p.m.
Proposals to be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
This Healthy Kids Community Challenge (HKCC) Hastings & Prince Edward (HPE) strives to promote children's health and well-being through physical activity, healthy eating, and other healthy habits. During the 2018 theme, Power Off and Play, the HKCC HPE will be working to encourage children and families to build a balanced day that is not filled with screen time.
On behalf of the HKCC Steering Committee, Hastings Prince Edward Public Health (HPE Public Health) is seeking the services of a public health research and planning consultant to assist HKCC HPE in development of a strategy to create supportive community-based active play environments, thereby increasing opportunities for physical activity among children ages 0 to 12.
The objectives of this project are to:
- Understand the perceived barriers and facilitators among parents of children ages 0 to 12 to accessing indoor/outdoor settings and programs that encourage active play.
- Assess current community play environments in five regions of HPE (Belleville, Quinte West, Central and South Hastings, North Hastings and Prince Edward County) and identify the gaps between parent perceptions and existing active play environments.
- Identify key partnerships and evidence-based program and policy interventions to address the gaps between parent perceptions and active play environments.
- Identify interventions that achieve a balance between population level approaches and areas of greatest need by highlighting a range of interventions to address different levels of advantage/disadvantage within HPE communities and increase equity.
Study Design and Scope Considerations
Consider the following in your proposal:
- A mixed-method participatory approach should be used to determine parent perceptions of active play facilitators and barriers.
- An objective assessment of the community active play environment should be undertaken to assess the accessibility, availability and affordability of opportunities for active play.
- The study should focus on outdoor play environments in the small urban regions of Belleville and Quinte West, and on indoor play environments in the small town and rural regions of North Hastings, Central and South Hastings and Prince Edward County.
- Prepare a preliminary report outlining the design and results of the study, in addition to draft evidence-informed recommendations for program and policy interventions.
- Provide a presentation of the preliminary report and lead a facilitated workshop with key stakeholders to validate, prioritize and assess implementation strategies for the draft recommendations.
- Prepare a final report that outlines the design and results of the study, in addition to the final recommendations and implementation strategies for priority program and policy interventions.
The suggested timelines are as follows:
Initial planning meeting with HPE Public Health
Finalize methodology and data collection plan
Data collection and analysis
April - May 2018
July 31, 2018
Qualifications and Expectations
The successful candidate will be expected to:
- Have graduate-level training and extensive experience in conducting community-based participatory research.
- Have proven skills in quantitative and qualitative research study design and methods.
- Be knowledgeable about ecological approaches to health promotion, healthy public policy and policy development related to public health and the built environment.
- Possess excellent communication skills (oral, active listening, and written).
- Provide regular progress updates on the project deliverables.
- Work within the agreed upon project deliverables, budget and timelines.
- Work collaboratively with the HKCC Local Project Manager and HPE Public Health staff.
- Begin work on this project in early March, 2018.
- Understand that HPE Public Health, on behalf of HKCC HPE Steering Committee, will maintain ownership of the copyright for all materials produced.
Proposals in PDF format must be submitted by 4:30 pm on February 26, 2018 to email@example.com.
Proposals should include:
- A profile of the expertise and core competencies relevant to this project.
- Curriculum Vitae for the associates working on this project.
- Descriptions of relevant work previously completed, including the names and contact information of two references.
- A work plan, including detailed timelines and specific deliverables.
- A detailed budget itemizing costs.
The proposal will be evaluated based on a combination of the:
- Proposed work plan,
- Experience and qualifications to fulfill the requirements of the project,
- Feedback from references, and
- Remuneration expectations.
Please note hiring is dependent upon receipt of 2018 Healthy Kids Community Challenge Funding from the Ministry of Health and Long-term Care.
To learn more about the Healthy Kids Community Challenge, please visit: http://healthykidshpe.ca.
If you have questions regarding this request for proposals, please contact:
Health Promoter/Local Project Manager for the Healthy Kids Community Challenge
Hastings Prince Edward Public Health
179 North Park Street
Belleville, ON K8P 4P1
Tel: 613-966-5500 ext. 226