Osteoporosis Canada, Ontario Osteoporosis Strategy and GERAS Centre for Aging Research are excited to announce the launch of four series of videos, aimed at educating health care professionals to prevent falls and fractures for long term care (LTC) residents.
The 4-part series help health care professionals keep in keeping LTC residents safe from falls and fractures. The series focuses on personal support workers, physiotherapists & physiotherapist assistants, group exercise trainers (e.g., fitness instructors, kinesiologists) and restorative care staff.
Osteoporosis and falls are the leading cause of fractures in LTC homes and 44% of LTC residents are at high risk for fractures. The video series promote exercise and safe movements to prevent falls and fractures in LTC. The information and key messages in the videos were developed in accordance with evidence-based recommendations for fall and fracture prevention in LTC, and through consultations with LTC team members and experts.
We gratefully acknowledge key collaborators on the development of the LTC Video series: Osteoporosis Canada, GERAS Centre for Aging Research, Ontario Osteoporosis Strategy, University of Waterloo, Hamilton Health Sciences, St. Peter's Hospital, Extendicare, University Health Network, Schlegel Villages, Schlegel-UW Research Institute for Aging, St. Joseph's Villa.
Video 1: Personal Support Workers - Launched
This 4-part series aids personal support workers in keeping LTC residents safe from falls and fractures. The series focuses on:
- Personal Support Worker: Introduction
- Transferring in and out of bed safely
- Proper wheelchair positioning
- Doing sit to stands with residents
Video 2: Physiotherapists and Physiotherapy Assistants - coming week of February 26
This 4-part series aids physiotherapists and physiotherapy assistants in keeping LTC residents safe from falls and fractures. The series focuses on:
- Physiotherapy and Physiotherapy Assistants: Introduction
- Completing balance assessments and communicating with the team
- Doing balance and strength exercises with LTC residents
- Involving LTC residents and their family members in completing exercises
Video 3: Group Exercise Trainers & Exercise Professionals - coming week of March 5
This 4-part series aids group exercise trainers & exercise professionals in keeping LTC residents safe from falls and fractures. The series focuses on:
- Exercise trainers: Introduction
- Modifying exercises for residents who can't stand
- Working with residents with dementia
- Incorporating posture exercises
Video 4: Restorative care - coming week of March 12
This 4-part series aids restorative care staff in keeping LTC residents safe from falls and fractures. The series focuses on:
- Restorative Care: Introduction
- Spine sparing strategies
- Simple balance and strength exercises
- Postural cues