Port Hope, Ontario
Deadline March 23, 2018
Competition #0001-18 - RPN Immunization Nurse (2)
The Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit has an opening for two (2) temporary Registered Practical Nurses (Immunization) in its Health Protection Division based in the Port Hope office, with travel throughout the HKPR jurisdiction.
As a member of the Health Protection Division, the Registered Practical Nurse (Immunization) is accountable to Health Protection Management for the implementation of the assigned Requirements of the Infectious Diseases Program Standards of the Ontario Public Health Standards (OPHS)
and related protocols and guidelines including but not limited to the:
Immunization Management Protocol
Vaccine Storage and Handling Protocol
and other duties as assigned by Health Protection Management.
Areas of emphasis may include Vaccine Preventable Diseases, immunization, and vaccine management.
The Immunization Nurse is expected to work independently and as part of a multi-disciplinary team to apply, adapt, choose and/or recommend changes to established methods, procedures or policies and/or to develop new procedures for approval to complete assigned work. The Immunization Nurse will seek direction when solutions to problems are not apparent and/or are not within the intent of established practices including scope of practice.
As a member of the Health Protection Division, the Immunization Nurse works under the direction of the Director and Managers, will provide immunizations at organized health unit clinics and complete other vaccine and immunization related activities in a variety of locations as assigned. An Immunization Nurse may also be required to accept direction from a CDC Nurse or Immunization Nurse who is coordinating a specific clinic.
All Registered Nurses, including Registered Practical Nurses, employed by HKPRDHU are required to maintain competency in immunization and participate in clinics as required.
An Immunization Nurse is required to work with other Health Protection Division team members and with members of the public to ensure access to provincially funded vaccines; promote immunization of individuals of all ages; provide immunization, consultation, education, and health promotion. Immunization Nurses will also contribute to data collection, clinic organization and clinic evaluation.
Other duties may include vaccine storage and handling activities and consultation with Health Care Providers (HCP); vaccine refrigerator inspections; and the provincial Panorama Immunization and Inventory System.
The position involves travel and variations of the working day. Click here for full details about the position: http://www.hkpr.on.ca/Portals/0/PDF%20Files/PDF%20Files%20-%20Admin/PD%2....
The successful candidate will have:
- Success completion of a Registered Practical Nurses Diploma program
- Education program for immunization competencies is an asset
- Registered Practical Nurse with the College of Nurses of Ontario
- Clinical experience administering subcutaneous and intramuscular injections
- Excellent oral, written communication and computer skills
- Well-developed interpersonal skills
- Good organizational skills
- Proof of current registration with College of Nurses of Ontario
- Proficiency in the knowledge, skills and attitudes required for the role of Public Health, Front Line Provider as defined by the Core Competencies for Public Health in Canada
- Working knowledge of the OPHS, particularly in relation to Vaccine Preventable Diseases
- Valid Driver's License and access to a vehicle
- Current and satisfactory Criminal Records Check and Vulnerable Sector Search
- Proof of immunizations required by HKPRDHU
- Satisfactory completion of probationary period (equivalent of 3 months ONA contract)
- Current CPR and First Aid (HCP level) or willingness to be certified at this level within 2 months of hire
Location: Port Hope (2) - with travel throughout HKPR jurisdiction
Salary Range: Based on 1.0 FTE annual salary of $53,120.00-$59,464.00 (ONA - 2018)
Start Date: ASAP
Accommodations are available, upon request, to support the participation of persons with disabilities in the recruitment process. All recruitment documents are available in alternative format, upon request.
Qualified applicants are invited to send a resume and cover letter by 4:00 p.m. on March 23, 2018 to:
Manager, Corporate Services; Human Resource and Financial Services Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District Health Unit
200 Rose Glen Road Port Hope ON L1A 3V6 Tel: 866-888-4577
E-mail: [email protected]
We would like to thank all applicants in advance and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.