FOOD FOR LEARNING is a partnership of several agencies in York Region, including schools, school boards, public health, community health organizations, and faith groups. The purpose of this task group is to support local groups and schools starting meal and snack programs, and to help local child nutrition programs to become self-sustaining.
Position Summary: Under the supervision of the York Region Food for Learning Task Group, the co-ordinator will provide knowledge, expertise and resource support to help communities within Markham and Richmond Hill start and sustain breakfast and nutrition programs to ensure that children are well nourished and ready to learn.
Term: Will commence October 2nd., 2000 for 9 months. 21 hours per week. $16.00 per hour.
- To increase the number of child nutrition programs in Markham or Richmond Hill communities
- To establish and provide support to a local community advisory committee
- To assist local child nutrition programs secure on-going commitment, resources and funding to support their programs.
- To develop guidelines and resources to assist in the development of new community nutrition programs.
- To assist in recruiting volunteers and matching them with local program needs.
- To develop a multifaceted awareness campaign to promote "Food For Learning" at the community level.
- Working knowledge of Richmond and/or Markham
- Dynamic self-starter with community development skills
- Knowledge of basic nutrition
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Marketing skills and fundraising experience
- Ability to work flexible hours and independently
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Experience leading volunteers
- Home office with computer and internet access
- Valid Driver's license and access to a reliable car
- Experience working with multi-cultural communities, public health and/or educational settings an asset.
Please forward resume to:
Lucy Valleau, Food for Learning Co-Chair
c/o York Region Health Services, Nutrition Services
22 Prospect St., Newmarket, ON L3Y 3S9
Email: [email protected]
These positions are made possible by the Canadian Living Foundation
Community Partners Grant Program.