Increasing HIV/AIDS Research Capacity at Parkdale Community Health Centre Research Consultant
This project is funded by the Ontario HIV Treatment Network. The objective of the project is to develop the agency's capacity to:
a) define an appropriate research question
b) develop a research protocol which would answer this question
c) provide training and mentorship in community-based participatory research methodologies, data collection through interviews and focus groups, data analysis, report writing, dissemination and evaluation.
The consultant will work closely with the Streethealth Team members who deal directly with marginalized and street involved individuals living with or at high risk of contracting HIV/AIDS, but have not accessed primary health care services, particularly HIV testing and treatment. In addition, the consultant will be involved in the Regent Park Community Health Centre's "Community Health Centre Research Capacity Development" project which is co-ordinating education and planning activities amongst 5 metro Toronto Community Health Centres to enhance these organizations, ability to engage in community needs driven research, priority setting and evidence based program planning on HIV/AIDS related issues.
This position is a part-time contract position that will co-ordinate all research activities and develop a research protocol for the Centre. The research consultant will be working at Parkdale Community Health Centre and report to the Program Co-ordinator.
Remuneration: $40.00 per hour, approximately one day per week until the end of March, 2001.
1. Co-ordinate a needs assessment to identify the education needs of Centre staff, Board members and volunteers on research capacity building.
2. Deliver research skill development training.
3. Develop Centre-wide research protocol policies.
4. Co-ordinate planning processes with Centre staff, Board members and volunteers to identify relevant community needs-driven research agenda
5. Co-ordinate activities to assist the Centre to develop necessary information technology to integrate research activities with client services.
Required Skills and Experiences:
1. Excellent communication skills in written and spoken English - another language is an asset
2. Demonstrated success in co-ordinating projects involving multiple stakeholders.
3. Self-directed and accountable to organization/group process.
4. Experienced in conducting/organizing needs assessments, program planning and implementation of a research model.
5. Experience working with diverse marginalized communities and especially people living with HIV/AIDS.
6. Experience and/or knowledge of determinants of health, harm reduction approaches and HIV/AIDS prevention and care issues.
7. Knowledge and experience with Community Health Centres and community-based research.
Please mail or deliver your r