A full year/full time term position is available through Apple Tree Landing's Outreach & Support Program. The start date is scheduled for
January 2, 2001.
This position involves working closely with participating families and with members of a multi-disciplinary team. The successful applicant will provide the information technology (IT) skills, facilitation and coordination required to guide this participatory project. The end goal is the launch of a family literacy website; however, the coordinator will play a key role in ensuring that increased internet technology skills will be developed by participating families and other team members. It is expected that 25 families will be directly involved in the development of the site. Those selected for an interview will have a variety of experiences and qualifications that should include:
* An understanding of community development principles, experience in coalition building and the development of community-based projects/ programs.
* Good organizational and communication skills.
* An ability to work independently as a part of an interdisciplinary team.
* A working knowledge of key issues related to serving families living in low-income circumstances, especially those with children aged 0-6 years.
This will include knowledge of early childhood and adult literacy strategies, parenting issues, adult education techniques and issues
affecting women's/parents' access to the labour market.
* An ability to present information in a non-threatening, non-judgmental manner, and an understanding of the need for confidentiality in all matters of a personal nature disclosed by program participants
* Knowledge of current literature and trends in community-based information technology projects.
* A high level of skill and/or certification in the following areas of information technology:
* Hardware Fundamentals; Software Fundamentals; Windows 98/2000; Local Area Networks; Microsoft Office; Corel; Connectivity TCP/IP Protocols; Internet Publishing including HTML.
* Strong offline and online facilitation skills
* Experience in developing and conducting demonstrations on the use of technology - including hands-on Internet training
* Ability to research, analyze and disseminate relevant information in a workshop format
* Creativity and a sense of humour
The Salary Range for this position is $34,000 - $39,000
Please respond before December 13, 2000. Selected candidates must be available for a group and individual interview on Tuesday December 19, 2000. Interviews will be held at Apple Tree Landing, Canning, Nova Scotia.
Applications will be received by email only. Please send your resume and a cover letter explaining why you think this project would succeed under your coordination. Apply by email at [email protected] and copy your application to [email protected] and [email protected]