Full-Time 1-Year Contract with possibility of renewal
Application Deadline: April 30, 2002
ALCOA, a partnership of organizations and individuals having interest in the field of aging, encourages older Canadians to maintain and enhance their well-being and independence through a lifestyle that embraces daily physical activities. ALCOA is governed by a volunteer board of directors (Guardians) and envisions a society where all older Canadians are leading active lifestyles thereby contributing to their physical and overall well-being.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Communications and Project Manager will oversee all communication, marketing and publication activities for ALCOA.
Marketing And Communications Activities
* Oversee the writing and printing of ALCOA's newsletter, 6 times / year
* Manage and moderate the ActiveAge listserve of 300 ALCOA partners and affiliates for regular communication and information sharing.
* Oversee the maintenance, updating and design of the ALCOA Website
* Attend conferences, displaying ALCOA materials and presenting as appropriate.
* Promote and raise the profile of the organization, the various projects and the resources that are available from the National Office.
* Develop communication pieces to support the Diabetes project, the Speaker's Bureau, the Research Update, Forum and other projects as needed.
Media / Public Relations
* Write press releases and oversee media relations
* Identify opportunities to profile ALCOA's Spokespersons at significant events and conferences and in meetings with the media and government officials.
* Prepare background materials for media and spokespersons.
Alcoa Research Update
* Provide staff support to the Research Committee including the development of agendas, preparation and circulation of materials and the writing of minutes.
* Manage the production and distribution of 2-3 issues annually of ALCOA's Research Update, An initiative to communicate research in plain language to older adults through diverse leaders.
* Coordinate all parties involved in the development of the Research Update including the Committee, Researcher, Plain language writer, editor, translator, designer and printer making effective and efficient use of each person's skills and time.
* Oversee the distribution and promotion plan for the Research upate.
* Responsible for regular communication to ALCOA's members and affiliated organizations including meeting with members as needed.
* Identify opportunities to work with members in furthering the goals of ALCOA and in profiling their organizations.
* Provide staff support to the Membership Committee including the development and circulation of agendas and materials and the writing of minutes.
* Provide staff support to the Policy Committee including the development of agendas, preparation and circulation of materials and the writing of minutes.
* Work with the workshop facilitator to organize a national workshop on
influencing policy related to active living and older adults, based on the recommendations of the small group consultation.
Blueprint Strategy Workshop
* Work with the Executive Director to Coordinate a Blueprint Implementation Strategy Workshop including the development of workshop materials and logistics.
* Regular reporting of project activities vs. plan to Executive Director
* Monitoring Budget for areas of responsibility.
* Other duties as appropriate.
The successful applicant must be flexible and adaptable as this position includes a wide range of responsibilities. The incumbent will be a self-starter who learns quickly, works well independently and has 2-3 years of relevant experience.
* Post-Secondary Education in marketing, communications, public relations or other related discipline required.
* Experience related to activities described above and experience working with older adults and / or in health promotion a definite asset.
* Proficient in MS Office Professional 2000, desktop publishing, Website development, MS Access and listserves.
* Proven excellence in writing, proofreading and verbal communications
* Exceptional organizational and coordination skills with keen attention to detail
* Experience in a non-profit organization and working with committees an asset
* Previous experience coordinating the writing, design and printing of
* Strong planning, judgment and decision-making skills.
* Experience planning and organizing events and / or workshops.
* Working knowledge of both official languages is a definite asset
The incumbent must demonstrate the ability to work cooperatively in a dynamic, flexible organizational setting. The position will be based out of the national office in Toronto.
Occasional evening and weekend work required. Occasional travel within Canada is necessary. Applicants understand the importance of active living for older adults and preferably lead a physically active lifestyle.
The salary for this contract position is 32 - 35 K depending on qualifications and experience. The position is pending funding approval.
You are encouraged to visit our Website at http://www.alcoa.ca
Please send resume with a covering letter to
33 Laird Drive
Toronto, Ontario M4G 3S9
Fax: (416) 423-2112